Fiberartsy
Fiberartsy
  • Crestwood, KY

How to 'Dye" Easter Eggs With Silk Ties

A FiberArtsy.com tutorial

I’ve been on kind of an Easter Egg decorating kick lately. There are just so many fun ways to dye and decorate Easter Eggs! When I grew up, it was either the little dye tablets or natural dyeing with onion skins. That’s all we ever did. Well, now the sky’s the limit. You can paint them, decoupage, wrap and crackle them. Turns out you can also print on them with silk ties.

Full step
how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Make sure the label says 100% Silk!

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Supplies Needed:
– Raw Eggs
– 100% Silk Ties (thrift store – check the label to make sure they’re 100% Silk)
– Scrap Fabric s.a. old sheet or pillow case
– Scissors
– Thread
– Old Pot or Pan***
– White Vinegar
– Water

*** Since I don’t know what kind of dye was used on the silk ties, I boiled my eggs in an old pot. You can pick one up at the thrift store for a couple bucks. Better safe than sorry!

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Wrap the eggs in the silk and then again in the scrap fabric. Simmer the eggs and then let them cool completely. This is the hardest part!  The waiting ......

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Now, this is the fun part! The unwrapping of your little pieces of art. 

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Aren’t they beautiful? Two of my dyed easter eggs were much paler than the others. Upon inspection, I noticed that those silk ties had a label that reads “Stain Resistant”. This means they’ve been treated with something to keep them clean. It also means the dye won’t be released like on a non-treated tie. Those eggs are still lovely, tho.

how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

By the way, to make your Easter Eggs shiny, rub them with bacon fat. Oh, and I honestly am not sure if they’re still safe to eat. Err on the side of caution.

Full step by step tutorial at FiberArtsy.com - link below

Enjoy!
Annette
FiberArtsy.com

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 01, 2018 10:48 PM - More info
Fiberartsy

• Nmo11577676

These are lovely, but can you use blown-out empty eggs instead of the boiled ones for this project?

• Jan28755380

What is the white vinegar, that you have listed, is used for what?

• Dka27519972

It doesn't say what the vinegar is for, or how much, on the blog either. Nor does it say anything about dyeing the eggs, only silk scarves.

• Sun4930402

Someone mentioned using paper mache eggs - can you boil them? Will the vinegar affect them? Thank you!

• Fiberartsy

I have not worked with paper mache a lot but seems to me it would make a big mess. Perhaps someone else knows for sure?