How to 'Dye" Easter Eggs With Silk Ties

54K Views
A FiberArtsy.com tutorial

I’ve been on kind of an Easter Egg decorating kick lately. There are just so many fun ways to dye and decorate Easter Eggs! When I grew up, it was either the little dye tablets or natural dyeing with onion skins. That’s all we ever did. Well, now the sky’s the limit. You can paint them, decoupage, wrap and crackle them. Turns out you can also print on them with silk ties.

Full step by step tutorial at FiberArtsy.com - link below

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Make sure the label says 100% Silk!

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Supplies Needed:
– Raw Eggs
– 100% Silk Ties (thrift store – check the label to make sure they’re 100% Silk)
– Scrap Fabric s.a. old sheet or pillow case
– Scissors
– Thread
– Old Pot or Pan***
– White Vinegar
– Water

*** Since I don’t know what kind of dye was used on the silk ties, I boiled my eggs in an old pot. You can pick one up at the thrift store for a couple bucks. Better safe than sorry!

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Wrap the eggs in the silk and then again in the scrap fabric. Simmer the eggs and then let them cool completely. This is the hardest part!  The waiting ......

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Now, this is the fun part! The unwrapping of your little pieces of art. 

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

Aren’t they beautiful? Two of my dyed easter eggs were much paler than the others. Upon inspection, I noticed that those silk ties had a label that reads “Stain Resistant”. This means they’ve been treated with something to keep them clean. It also means the dye won’t be released like on a non-treated tie. Those eggs are still lovely, tho.

• how to dye easter eggs with silk ties

By the way, to make your Easter Eggs shiny, rub them with bacon fat. Oh, and I honestly am not sure if they’re still safe to eat. Err on the side of caution.

Enjoy!
Annette
FiberArtsy.com

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 6, 2018 11:08 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Fiberartsy