Kelleysdiy
Kelleysdiy
  • Palm Springs, CA

Window Privacy

1 Material
$18

Hi everyone! I am so excited to share this project with you. I have a long window next to my front door. I don’t like having to put a heavy curtain there, it makes the room so dark. If I put up a sheer, it lets in the light, but anyone can see into the house.
So what can I do to the by window so I can see out of it when the doorbell rings? I want to be able to see out, but people not see in….and let the sunshine in! This is the window before:

window privacy

This is the window by my front door. Right now the sun is on the other side of the house, but in the morning the sun comes brightly through this window. So what did I do???

window privacy

Wow what a difference!!! Here is what it looks like from outside looking in:

window privacy

Do you see how from the outside…it just shows reflection of the fountain, not inside!
So what did I do? I applied this

window privacy

I ordered 2 8 FL. oz bottles from Amazon. All together with shipping….less than $20. I found it here…a great deal:

window privacy

So…how did I do it?? How do you apply it? Well it is sooooo easy! Can you fingerpaint swirls? Then you can do this.This is the first time I ever had tried this product. It is white, but dries clear.
I started by pouring 1 bottle into a glass bowl. I covered the floor area and window seal with a old sheet. I used painters tape all around the sides of the window.  Now this is where it gets fun….yes, I said fun! Starting from the top, start spreading on the stuff with your fingers. Yes, I said your fingers! I just did little swirls with my fingers, like fingerpainting. If you glop (Is that a word?) it on…be sure to work it in. You don’t want any heavy glops. Just little circles all around. This is what it looks like from the outside...not dried yet

window privacy

I kept applying layers, swirling with my fingertips...At this point, I was nervous…but you know me by now…that doesn’t stop me!

window privacy

I am so happy with it!! I can see out…they can barely see in, very obscured.
I was thinking…a friend of mine spent loads of money on his side window by door. He got the waterfall look, or rain look. It would be interesting to try that. But alas, my home is Mediterranean style, not mid-century modern.
This is what it looks like from outside:

window privacy

This is what it looks like from outside! Just reflections.
So what do you think?
This is what it looks like from the inside looking out

window privacy

another great feature…dries fast…after a couple of days…you can clean your window if it gets dirty using windex!
One reader tried it, but it cracked when her temperatures went below freezing...just a heads up!

Kelleysdiy

• Will this stuff come off if you want to remove it? A Razor blade or something? And is it washable as well?

• Windy

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!

• Lynda Hill

"I kept applying layers, swirling with my fingertips..." How many layers did you use? And, did you let it dry between layers?

Looks really nice!

• Kelleysdiy

I used about 3 coats. I started at top working down, by the time I got to the bottom, I started back on top.

• Colleen

Did you apply this on the inside of the window or on the outside?

• Kelleysdiy

Hi Colleen, I applied it to the inside of the window. Have fun with this, you can't do it wrong. Check out my website kelleysdiy.com for over 300 ideas!