Window Privacy

1 Material
$18

Hi everyone! I am so excited to share this project with you. I have a long window next to my front door. I don’t like having to put a heavy curtain there, it makes the room so dark. If I put up a sheer, it lets in the light, but anyone can see into the house.So what can I do to the by window so I can see out of it when the doorbell rings? I want to be able to see out, but people not see in….and let the sunshine in! This is the window before:

This is the window by my front door. Right now the sun is on the other side of the house, but in the morning the sun comes brightly through this window. So what did I do???

Wow what a difference!!! Here is what it looks like from outside looking in:

Do you see how from the outside…it just shows reflection of the fountain, not inside!So what did I do? I applied this

I ordered 2 8 FL. oz bottles from Amazon. All together with shipping….less than $20. I found it here…a great deal:

So…how did I do it?? How do you apply it? Well it is sooooo easy! Can you fingerpaint swirls? Then you can do this.This is the first time I ever had tried this product. It is white, but dries clear.I started by pouring 1 bottle into a glass bowl. I covered the floor area and window seal with a old sheet. I used painters tape all around the sides of the window. Now this is where it gets fun….yes, I said fun! Starting from the top, start spreading on the stuff with your fingers. Yes, I said your fingers! I just did little swirls with my fingers, like fingerpainting. If you glop (Is that a word?) it on…be sure to work it in. You don’t want any heavy glops. Just little circles all around. This is what it looks like from the outside...not dried yet

I kept applying layers, swirling with my fingertips...At this point, I was nervous…but you know me by now…that doesn’t stop me!

I am so happy with it!! I can see out…they can barely see in, very obscured.I was thinking…a friend of mine spent loads of money on his side window by door. He got the waterfall look, or rain look. It would be interesting to try that. But alas, my home is Mediterranean style, not mid-century modern.This is what it looks like from outside:

This is what it looks like from outside! Just reflections.I am so happy with it!! I can see out…they can barely see in, very obscured.
So what do you think?This is what it looks like from the inside looking out

another great feature…dries fast…after a couple of days…you can clean your window if it gets dirty using windex!One reader tried it, but it cracked when her temperatures went below freezing...just a heads up!

Kelleysdiy

• Lynda Hill

"I kept applying layers, swirling with my fingertips..." How many layers did you use? And, did you let it dry between layers?

Looks really nice!

• Kelleysdiy

I used about 3 coats. I started at top working down, by the time I got to the bottom, I started back on top.

• Colleen

Did you apply this on the inside of the window or on the outside?

• Kelleysdiy

Hi Colleen, I applied it to the inside of the window. Have fun with this, you can't do it wrong. Check out my website kelleysdiy.com for over 300 ideas!

• Rena

I did this in my old apt - worked like a charm - thank you! Does this or another color block out uv light? My new apt is sunnier than my old one & I don't want it to lighten my wood furniture or paintings.

• Kelleysdiy

Thank you very much Cat.

I put blue tape around the window edges so I wouldn't get on the metal. I poured 2 bottles in a glass bowl. I dipped my fingertips in the bowl, and starting at the top of the window, I made swirling circles. Think of a small child finger painting and loving their fingers in the paint. Your just moving your fingers in small circles. Working down to the bottom, then go back up and do it again. Don't wait to dry or it will become harder to do.

I didn't tint it but, it comes in so many colors you have a choice if you want a color or clear.

• Kathy

I used Gallery glass paint from Hobby Lobby. I also bought the outlines already made. They are long straight strips that can be cut to size. I got my pattern from a book. Good luck. It is a fun hobby.

• Kelleysdiy

Oh, the strips for the leading look, nice. I would love to see a pic!