How to Stain Glass Bottles

This is a pottery barn hack for the blue Cobalt stained glass vases. The pottery barn version is $129! But this vase cost me less than $2.00 because I used an apple juice bottle I already had. This stained glass method can also be done with Mason jars or any vase or jar of your choice.
To make the stain lighter, just add a little water to the mod podge before mixing.

I start off with this empty apple juice bottle which has a really cool leaf design on the top.

I'm going to start with a small bottle of modpodge is a high gloss.

And I choose my color for the glass by choosing some blue food coloring.

I mix in about 40-60 drops of blue food coloring into the mod podge to create a deep blue color for my glass. The more I add, the darker the glass will be.

I mix those two together until I get the color I want.

Then, I pour the entire bottle of mod dodge into the bottle .

I then start swirling the modpodge around until the entire inside of the bottle is covered.

I wipe off any excess that was on the outside and on the rim of the bottle.

I put the bottle into the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.

I love the deep blue look of the glass and it only cost me $2!

See the video for more details on how to stain glass.

• Tammy Richardson Holland

great idea! do you have to pour out any excess mod podge before putting it into the oven?

• Lovesunique

If you watch the video it appears she lets the excess drop out onto the paper she was working on.

• Christine Mitchell

What is mod podge please? I l ive in UK.

• Lovesunique

Mod Podge is a product you can buy similar to watered down Elmer's Glue. It is also used to make canvass like pictures. You take a board and cover with mod podge (using a brush or sponge) then place a picture on top and cover with more mod podge. You can use paper napkins too. I used Rit dye to color mod podge and covered a clear glass pendant lamp shade. If you can't find the perfect dye color, food coloring is perfect because you can get just the right shade. Have fun!

• Jill Krol

Mod Podge is very expensive (thus I don't get $2 for the project), so will something else work? Is the ModPodge color permanent? I do really like the idea and want to try it.

• Jeanetta Liptrap

The 2 oz bottle of Modge Podge is $2 or less. I've seen it at Walmart and other places, once was at the grocery store of all places. I've found it at Dollar Tree several times for $1.

• April J'Callahan Marshall

Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to find a way to color/stain glass wine bottles for a wall of bottles I am doing and this is just the trick!! Do you know if these are waterproof?

• Angie Sollman

Yes, I’ve been searching for a way to color my own canning jars for DIY solar lanterns ( they want a small fortune to buy them colored )!! I heard Modge lodge w/ RIT dye/ but didn’t mention baking it & I had blue hands when I was done messing with them!! Lol thanks for the tip !!!