Mini Mason Jar Salt & Pepper Shakers

Do you love Mason jars? These little salt & pepper shakers are perfect for any Mason jar lover and a great addition to your kitchen! They are super easy to make too!
I wanted to make new salt and pepper shakers. These mini jars are perfect! They’re only 4 oz. so they’re nice and little and just ideal for salt and pepper shakers. What I love about them is that they just look like shrunken versions of the bigger ones!
Using your favorite brand of chalk paint, you want to put 2-3 coats on allowing them to dry completely in between.

While your paint is drying you can work on your lids.
These little jars have nice one piece lids so punching holes in them is super easy. You can just do holes in a pattern or you can do an S & P like I did. I thought about painting one of my jars black and the other white which would be another cute idea!

Whatever you want to do you’ll want to mark your lids where you want holes before you start punching them .
My super hubby was kind enough to lend me a small metal punch for mine, but if you don’t have one a small nail would do the trick perfectly. You just want to hit it very gently with a hammer until you get a small hole. Keep going spacing them evenly.
Once your paint is completely dry you can gently sand your jar to give it a distressed look.
Now add on a coat of wax and let it dry completely.
Once you’ve got your lids finished and the wax is dry on your jars you’re ready to go! Just fill them up and get to seasoning!

You can find more pictures and details on my full blog post - http://werefarfromnormal.com/2017/03/diy-mason-jar-salt-pepper-shakers.html

FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Furniture & Craft Paint in Assorted Colors (8...

Far From Normal

• Jim8319187

Where did you obtain the jars. Thanks

• Jbo6501302

Where do you buy the small jars?

• Nanachell1

Do you have to take care when washing them . Would you just rinse them out. I've only ever used chalk paint on furniture.

• Kerry Trout

I had a pair of these 40 years ago so this is nothing new. And they look much cuter without the chalk paint!

• Sandy Wrigley

Had to say that to her?!

• Sherry Haning

I agree with Kerry.

• JoAnn Rawlinson

I also agree with Kerry !

• Leslie welch

It's a personal preference.

• Chuck Peterson

Some people like the paint, some don't. Some people can be nice, and some people can't. Yes, this has been around for quite some time, in a clear version, but with a product that is becoming popular, it took an old idea and made it new again. Great idea, FarFromNormal!

• Pam

Focusing on the positive...such a cute thing, old or new ! The idea of making use of something in a way that makes sense to you and sharing it with others is clean, friendly, wholesome, and the basis for this website. Thank you for sharing and they are really cool with the chalk paint.

• Msh14350021

I like the paint on them. You could even do them in others colors. Clear or painted. Just whatever your preference.

• Tammy

I like how the paint brings out the details on the jars!

• April Dawson

So... to actually answer this question, washing should be done carefully as to not get the outside, (with the paint) too wet. Also try not to scrub it with anything abrasive as it will eventually erode or flake away the paint. Protection of the paint is the reason for the wax and the wax can be found in the painting section or any Home Depot, Lowes, or that type of store. This is a great little project and would look great in any color or to be left clear as well. It's all personal preference. Which is the whole point of this site, to customize, on your own, your personal preferences. Good luck to all who choose to make these.

• SHIRLEY

I'm with you Sandy.. tsk jealousy is such an "ugly" color...

• Cathy D

Does anyone know where I could get them in bulk? I would love to use them in a children's program at a historic site where I volunteer.
  • Kathi Burke

or buy thrm for 1 dollar at the Dollar Store

• Paul

what kind of "wax" do you mean? Where do I get that from?

• Cindy

iNNER EAR IS GOOD

• April Dawson

You can get it at any Home Depot, Lowes, or that type of store in the painting section. It's protective wax for paint and stain.

• Elaine

Michael’s sells both the clear liquid wax and the dark wax. You only need the dark wax if you are “aging” or “antiquing” a project. Dark wax is applied over the clear wax. I think Walmart also sells this type of wax. I haven’t tried it yet on the various projects I’ve done but I am pretty sure ordinary (paste type) floor wax works too ... the ordinary kind that comes in a round tin.

• Debbie Spilsbury

Hi sweetie....no question....just wanted Yu to know this is darling and to not give any thought to the negative comments. Some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about.

• X

Excellent point....these are cute and functional !

• Rosel Kynast

Great idea ! Like the jars easy to grip when your hands are full of arthritis. Thanks for posting.

• Susie

Where did you purchase the tiny mason jars?

• C

Amazon has them. About $36 for a case of 24.

• Georgette Cypher Lamb

They also sell them at dollar tree

• Lori

I found these jars at Farm&Fleet.....4 of them for $5.69

• Lori

Wouldn't a whole bunch of these look adorable holding all your kitchen spices? Making a shelving rack for them wouldn't be all that hard to do.

• Cheley

Baby food jars would work too.

• Pyesangel

I like the idea of using them for spices. I've been trying to get all my spices in the same size jars so it's easier to fit them on the shelves. I've used baby food jars but think the little Mason jars might work better.

• Joan B.

I wouldn't recommend punching holes in the lids of spices as they shouldn't be exposed to the air (they will lose their potency). You could keep the lids on tightly without punching holes but you would have to spoon out the contents.

• Gail

I love this idea! It would be great for all of my spices. I only have one problem. I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and have never seen Mason Jars that small before. Do you know where I could order them from?
    In advance, thanks for helping out and for the cute idea! :)
    • Linda Sikut

Try Walmart if you have one close to you. (I know there is one in Erie.) You also have dollar stores so that is another possible resource. If all else fails or you don't want to drive around looking, I'll bet you can find them online. I'd try Amazon first but if they don't have them, just google it. You might even find the little ones with the handles. Those would work too.

• Gail

Thanks, Linda. I'm going to tomorrow to search. :)

• Carol

Does the salt and pepper just shake out thru those holes?
    • Susie

I think maybe so! Don't you? 👍

• Carol

When you look at the punch holes they don't seem to go all the way thru. Dumb question?

• Monalee. Branch

after you punch your holes inthe lid, take an ice pick and stretch you holes a little larger.

• Holly Fraser

Can they be washed? (With that kind of paint)?

• Kimber Bogema

Only with wax over it, and I can't find a paint on wax coating. Anyone? I am in Canada.

• Peggy Little Auldridge

Kimber Bogema Waverly Inspirations Chalk Paint by Plaid Enterprises has a liquid wax you apply with a brush. I'm sure Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart, Target or any craft store would have it.

• Rae Argo

Love these!
    • Rae Argo

Love these!
    • Karen Hickel

At my local Ace hardware they sell chalk paint. I can't remember the brand name. But they sell the cans of brush on wax right with the chalk paint. Cute idea!
  • Mickie

What type of wax and where do you get it??

• Sandra Russell

Where can we get these mini jars?

• Jaime

Usually have them at Dollar Tree or other dollar stores

• Ann Marie Kinsley

If you can't find them there, try Hobby Lobby if they have one in your area. That's where I saw them.

• Ann Marie Kinsley

• MaryLou Borden Reilly

Just bought mine in Target.

• Mam22193206

Walmart $1 , with handle and white lid with holes already. Also the Dollartree plain small with silver lids. I used the dollartree ones for mini toothpick holders right next to the salt and pepper shakers.

• Maria Garcia

I bought mine at Hobby Lobby already done for $1.99. The holes were actually too big and I had to place a piece of tape inside the lid to cover some of the holes. Great idea Far From Normal.
    • Martha Hinkle

I bought a pair of these that have plastic lids.
  • Jennifer Tran

Metal cap does not good for salt !!!
    • Monalee. Branch

Add a few grains of rice to the salt shaker. Do not put water on the lid, only wipe down.
  • Kno8457308

hi
    I live in ontario were can find the store that carry the small jars ?
  • Shannon Roth- Corey

Coat of wax??
  • Angi Pitt

I have some wonderful small 4 oz jars but am having a hard time to find lids. Any ideas?
  • Juels Blauvelt

why don't u make the pepper jar gray or dark?
  • Angus021461

What kind of wax did you use?
    • Janice Stratton Winkelman

Not an answer, but a related question. Why Wax? Won’t it melt off if it gets too hot. I keep my shakers on stove top within easy reach when I’m cooking.
    • Erica Smith

@Angus021461 I personally use Minwax in Walnut and I apply it lightly and wipe it right back off...it's to make it look more rustic and it helps protect the chalk paint/paint.
      @Janice Winkleman it's not candle wax. It's regular stain like you use on wood.
      Hope the answer helps!! Have a wonderful day!
  • 62q10370829

How did you get read of ruff edge inside of lid when you punched in the lid with nail or awl, couldn't you use drill with small small bite?
    • 71729639726

If you remove the ruffness inside of the lid to much salt or pepper will fall out very fast. I tried that a long time ago . Believe me. I would rather have to shake them a little bit to get more out. Rather than drown my food in salt or pepper.
    • Vickey Ollis

Take a flat tip screwdriver and gently press down any sharp edges.

• Charlotte Loper

Where do you get the mini mason jars ?

• Bmh31276303

it looks like a rusty nail was used. Don't think that's ok when used with food
  • Kay

I agree with Pamelamann. If you make something, it can be cheaper than bought, depending on the item being made. Some times, you allready have some supplies on hand, making it even cheeper, plus there is the satisfaction that you made it youself, and yes, some people defenatly, appreciate things home made. Kay Adelaide Australia