A Coffee Bar From an Old Dresser

My husband and I love to repurpose old furniture, making it new again. We had this dresser in storage and I just couldn't decide on how I wanted to finish it. I loved the top drawer, which looks like it is several little drawers. I had seen some dressers with little drawers all painted different colors and thought about doing the drawer in that style. I finally decided I needed a coffee bar! Once that decision was made, I knew. I love how it turned out and love all the storage, freeing up precious counter space in my kitchen.
Original Dresser Repurposed as a Coffee Bar
We first cleaned the original dresser very well, then sanded the top. We applied 3 coats of Varathane stain and sealer and 3 coats of Varathane Polyurethane. The polyurethane toned down the glossiness of the the stain/sealer and gave it extra protection and durability.I have step by step directions on my blog, detailing every step of this project.https://sharsumpaint.com/2016/12/02/a-coffee-bar-from-a-dresser/
Top after sanding, staining, and poly
It was now time to paint. Notice the top drawer is one drawer with raised fronts. I painted the raised fronts with Missouri Limestone Paint Company colors that were the same colors I used on my dining room chairs. The knobs on the top drawer and doors were porcelain and I left them natural. I used white spray paint on the bottom two drawer handles and hinges.
I made new curtains for the doors out of gray printed burlap and finished them off with chicken wire.
I finished the whole thing with 3 coats of Varathane polyurethane for durability. Not only do I now have a convenient place to make coffee next to my water cooler, but I have ample storage for my crockpot, toaster, extra coffee cups, coffee, and a whole lot more.

• Missouri Limestone Paint Company Chalk-Based Paint  (We are a distributor for this paint company)
  • Varathane water-based stain and sealer  (Menards)
  • Varathane water-based polyurethane  (We are a reseller for this polyurethane)

Sharon Strothcamp Sumner