Half Door

Every wonder who or what is on other side of closed door? From family room to hallway, we had a door that was not needed for privacy, but to contain our furry babies from running around the house. And, didn't want door slammed into head or body by another family member or friend! Hmmmm....can also be used for babies room door.

My husband removed paneled door from hinges and sawed door in half measuring below upper panels and about 7 inches up from middle hinge.

We then nailed scrap baseboard on top. As it was not a solid door, he notched out corner to allow closing on door frame. This was suppose to be temporary until we replaced baseboard with a finish board on top. Well, you know how you never get around to finishing something...here's an unfinished fix. But, flaw is not noticeable and we really liked the baseboard look.

Wonder what your looking at? Used a putty knife and spackle to fill indentation and screw holes caused from removing upper hinge plate on door frame. After spackle dries, sand and paint.

Half door open
Hung half door and here you have it!

Love my half door! Note: Table lamp in pic was made by my father and husband over 20 years ago, but that was their project.

• Existing panel door  (Home Depot)
  • Scrap baseboard and finish nails  (Home Depot)
  • Spackle, sand paper and putty knife  (Hardware store)

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Everything Red For Canada Day
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer

• Woo12810051
    Woo12810051

love this idea. I remember the dutch doors when i was younger. I really like that you used the 1/2 door, a nice way to control where our pets roam when we have goests.
    thank you for sharing.
  • Julie Ortiz
    Julie Ortiz

Thank you! The most difficult part of the project was realigning the top hinge down to accommodate the bottom half......measure, line-up, trace and carefully chisel.