Julia Fletcher
Julia Fletcher
  • Fort Worth, TX

The Motorcycle Dining Room Table

My husband and I love riding - and when we bought our ranch home, we wanted a dining room table that was "less than ordinary". I found this old Honda on 5Miles, and talked him down off his price (sparks flew when we pushed it to try to start it... it clearly was ready for pasture). I also found someone selling a glass table with an awful base online, and brought them together in a beautiful marriage of
the motorcycle dining room table

This was the bike the day we bought it. We took it home, drained the tank, and cleaned it up a bit - that is pretty much it!

the motorcycle dining room table

the motorcycle dining room table

I bought some wheel chocks at Harbor Freight for $30 each, and had my welder tack them to a flat plate, so I didn't have to screw them into my new floors. I did put those felt pads on the bottom, though - they will scratch up the floor in a hurry!

the motorcycle dining room table

We found studs, and screwed a solid piece of torched 2X6 into the wall, and secured the glass with some silicone. We also used JB Weld to tighten the handle bars in place (learned the hard way). We set the front of the glass on the handlebars, with some felt pads in between (the clear rubber pads couldn't handle the weight of the glass, and eventually squeezed out).

the motorcycle dining room table

I found some bar height stools to accompany the table, and voila! We've turned a junky old moto into a table! (I'd like to add a headlight that can be turned on somewhere down the road, too) Hope you enjoyed! :)

• Carole

do you ever 'crack' your shins on the bike while sitting at the table? Or is there more room under there than it looks like? Neat idea though

• Carol Gartside

I would just build a small wood box around the weld plates and half way up the stand... it would look great stained to match

• Pam Bell

What a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Laura Kackman

Looks awesome! I was wondering, where did you get the inspiration?

• Julia Fletcher

Hey Laura! I wanted something car themed... because the rest of the ranch is moto-centric. The original thought was to find a Mack truck hood and make it a table, but as I thought about it (and before I paid for the one I found in Dallas!) I thought there wouldn't be enough leg room to sit comfortably at a normal sized table! So my husband and I thought about it, and I decided to look around for a motorcycle frame. I got lucky and found a whole bike!! :) thanks for asking!