Coraline Jones
Coraline Jones
  • Springfield, MO

Paper Sack Stairs

I've put torn paper on walls before (old Lynette Jennings fan). I decided to test durability on stair steps.

paper sack stairs

The old basement steps before finishing.

paper sack stairs

Walls up

paper sack stairs

Sand the steps clean with no bumps. Tear brown grocery sacks grumpled and soaked in diluted glue. Squeegy off the glue so not drippy, lay on a clean step surface. Make sure edges overlap well. The vertic space is tricky but the fold down has to be sharp or it will wear off fast.

paper sack stairs

This floor was done 5yrs ago and looks like new. It's walked on frequently since adding a bedroom down there. Be patient and apply 2 or 3 layers of paper and several coats of urethane.

• Grocery sacks  (Local grocery store)
  • Wood glue by the gallon  (Lowes)

• Pam18242305

could
    y
    o
    u
    u
    s
    e modge podge in stead of wood glue
    • Rhonda Hadsall Clark

I would think the cost of the Mod Podge would be prohibitive. Plus paper is actually made from wood so I would assume wood glue would probably bind better.
  • Melonnie Johnson

Would brown craft paper work as well as grocery bags? Out here we only have plastic bags. They make us pay for the paper ones.
  • Usb21430672

Any chance you have a video? Or, can you please explain how, after leaving a large amount of overhang, you wrapped around the edges of the steps?
    • Coraline Jones

Im sorry. I don't have a video. I pretty much applied the rim of the step in full strength glue. Then I dried as quickly as possible with fans. I suggest just covering the frontof of the wrap over if you have trouble. All that's necessary is making sure it's a clean line at the bottom.