Boring White Front Door Gets a Face Lift

A boring and tired front door got a MUCH needed face lift. Everyone who walks through the door falls in love with it!

Seriously. The white door.

It's something that ALL Moms dread, right? Finger prints. Dog Paws. Dirty hands. Not to mention it does NOTHING for giving the home character.

I started on the inside by painting the front door two shades darker than the walls. It gave the entry way a pop of color....well, as much color as a gray door can give ;)

Let's just say I've not had to wipe down the door with a magic eraser in months!

Alright so back to the FRONT of the Front Door ;)

I had been recovering from foot surgery. The surgeon didn't warn me of the boredom of the state of depression you would go through from not walking for almost 6 months.

We had a very mild winter and I decided to take a shot at painting the front door. All I had upstairs was chalk paint left over from several other projects. So I grabbed them, a paint brush and a wax brush and went to town.

Now I used chalk paint because 1. it was what I had access to since I couldn't get downstairs to where all my exterior paint is. 2. I have a covered porch on the front of the house. It does take morning sun and I didn't want it to chip. So I applied 2 generous coats of wax to the door.

It's now been painted for a year and I'm happy to say that it doesn't have a single paint chip and it's not faded at all!

I love how the front door turned out. It looks MUCH better in person!

You can also do this with a brown paint and use the dry brush technique that I used to accomplish this same look. It will look like a wood door ;)

Now once I get to the new basement door I am going to attempt to make it look like a wooden door, so stay tuned!

Marci Loehner

• Peter Smith

Is a screen door wise wit a metal door? Just asking!!

• Robyn Garner

All doors and frames in FLaDuh have screen doors when wanted (like me!) I've never had any issue with any of them. Not sure why you think there would be?

• Shirley Headley

Why does the outside look so blotchy?

• Dawn

My door is metal and has a few rust spots that I can sand out, but will just brown paint eork?

• Jen

Nice job!!

• Letha J Nungesser

I love this! Such a big difference! I would never have thought to use chalk paint. Thanks for sharing.