Marci Loehner
Marci Loehner
  • Cincinnati, OH

Boring White Front Door Gets a Face Lift

A boring and tired front door got a MUCH needed face lift. Everyone who walks through the door falls in love with it!

boring white front door gets a face lift

Seriously. The white door.

It's something that ALL Moms dread, right? Finger prints. Dog Paws. Dirty hands. Not to mention it does NOTHING for giving the home character.

I started on the inside by painting the front door two shades darker than the walls. It gave the entry way a pop of color....well, as much color as a gray door can give ;)

Let's just say I've not had to wipe down the door with a magic eraser in months!

Alright so back to the FRONT of the Front Door ;)

I had been recovering from foot surgery. The surgeon didn't warn me of the boredom of the state of depression you would go through from not walking for almost 6 months.

We had a very mild winter and I decided to take a shot at painting the front door. All I had upstairs was chalk paint left over from several other projects. So I grabbed them, a paint brush and a wax brush and went to town.

Now I used chalk paint because 1. it was what I had access to since I couldn't get downstairs to where all my exterior paint is. 2. I have a covered porch on the front of the house. It does take morning sun and I didn't want it to chip. So I applied 2 generous coats of wax to the door.

It's now been painted for a year and I'm happy to say that it doesn't have a single paint chip and it's not faded at all!

I love how the front door turned out. It looks MUCH better in person!

You can also do this with a brown paint and use the dry brush technique that I used to accomplish this same look. It will look like a wood door ;)

Now once I get to the new basement door I am going to attempt to make it look like a wooden door, so stay tuned!

• Americana Decor Chalk Paint
Marci Loehner

• Tami Stone

This is kinda an off-the-wall question, but do you think decoupage (with a sealant, of course) would work on a painted metal door? I have a metal door leading from garage to kitchen. The inside looks horrible.. fingerprints, dog, etc. I'm wondering if, after paint dries really good, if I could dress it up a bit.

• Jewellmartin

Is it not exposed to the weather, that is, is it an interior door? If so, I don't see that decoupage would yet it, especially with a few layers of sealers. As long as the dog doesn't scratch the door with sharp nails, why not have some fun with it? Best wishes.

• M

it looks like the door has been in a fire!

• Jewellmartin

How does the door look with the glass door closed? Can't wait to see the door look like wood, and see what wreath or other decoration is added. Best wishes!

• Varonica Williams

what color grey did you use on the inside of your door?

• Sarge

Love the inside of the door. I would turn the rug horizontally...looks like it would span the door and the side lites evenly.

• Jennifer Muncy

Love it!