Shoppe No. 5
Shoppe No. 5
  • Bradenton, FL

How To Update Thrift Store Eggs With Texture

My friend, Sue hits the thrift stores at least once a week and picks up items she thinks I will like. Last fall she found these eggs. It took me a minute but I decided they would look good in a Saltwash paint technique. Not too long ago, I was browsing around one of my favorite thrift stores and found this basket. I was ready to work on my project for the Thrift Store Decor Upcycle Challenge.
how to update thrift store eggs with texture
My vision of the eggs was to brighten them up in pastel colors with the texture that the Saltwash gives a piece. I decided to use pastel colors for a Spring-Easter look. I mixed up 6 different colors using a product called Saltwash. I decided on pink, lavender, light blue, green, yellow and a peach color.
Once it was dry I used a watered down white paint tinted with the appropriate color and brushed it over the egg.
After that dries lightly sand the egg. Be careful as sanding to hard may take the finish off. You just want the colored Saltwash to show through. This is what gives it the texture. I used the Mouse sander and hand sanded. And be sure to wear a mask because it can get pretty dusty.
Once I sanded the eggs down and was pleased with the effect I waxed the eggs. You can skip this step as I didn't see a difference.
I spray painted the basket white for a fresh new look and added the Easter grass. This is how to give the eggs a fresh new look with texture. Arrange the eggs in the basket and you have a nice vignette. For more detailed instructions visit www.shoppeno5.com. And if you like the bunny the instructions are on the blog and here in Hometalk.
Shoppe No. 5

• Dayna

Were can I buy salt wash?

• Sunny

Hi, did I miss something? How do the eggs turn out two-toned? Is that why they are sitting in the cups? I really like these, but confused... 😕 🐇 Like the bunny, too. Thanks!

• Shoppe No. 5

The first coat of paint is mixed with the Saltwash. Then the second coat is brushed after the first coat dries. Once the paint is completely dry you get to sand it off and it creates this effect.

• Sunny

One other question ... Are the eggs plastic? Did you do anything to make the paint stick? Thanks again!

• Shoppe No. 5

They were wooden eggs. I am not sure they would work on plastic. You can find wooden or a similar item at Amazon or Hobby Lobby.