Borax Crystals

$10
1 Day

I saw a post by Gale from Purple Hues and Me and I was totally inspired to make these amazing crystals on my own!

Start by making your crystal base. Use white pipe cleaners and twist a few of them together to make 1 long strand.

Once you have twisted them together you should have something like this. Make your crystal any shape you'd like - long and narrow, round, or square!
**Be sure to leave little space between the pipe cleaners. I should have made the weave a little tighter on this one***

First create a double boiler with a pot and a heat safe container. Fill your container with 2-6 cups of water and bring to a boil.

Next, add your food coloring. Be sure to over saturate your water so your crystals have enough color.

Add your Borax to the water. I started with 1 cup at a time, making sure to mix it well before adding another cup. You will know when to stop adding Borax when you can see pieces floating on the surface.

Turn off your heat and remove your container.

Dunk your pipe cleaner in the water a few times to get it saturated. Tie it to a skewer and cover it with a piece of cardboard to keep the heat in. Let this sit up to 24 hours.

and THIS is what you are left with! I love how these came out. The colors are pastel and they are all shapes and sizes.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Sheryl

How do you remove the crystals from the inside of the glass just used to hold the borax?

• Sheryl

How do you remove the crystals from inside the glass jar used to hold the borax and pipe cleaners?

• Diane

They will fit through the opening in the top of the jar

• Liz

Can you use the liquid over again, or do you have to throw it out each time? Am thinking you could use a wider mouth jar or container if you are concerned with removing it afterwards.

• Glenda

I plan to try this.. Thanks for the inspiration.

• I've done this many times. I use the crystals to make jewelry. They make beautiful paper weights too. Isn't science wonderful?