When is the best time to start garden plants indoors

+5
  • Edna mocanu Edna mocanu on Mar 24, 2017
    In Lodi, Ca. end of February or first week in March. I'd start strawberries, asparagus, garlic chives etc. from seed. There are so many lists on pinterest.com to help, many according to growing zone. Good luck!
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 24, 2017
    when you plant seed depends where in the world you are.....generally x many weeks before the last frost date. in my area -Iowa- 8-6 weeks before the last frost date hits mid march. yup my seeds are in starter trays on the heat mat.

you can google
    "last frost date for ________" ( name your town and state). it will be an average over so many years. keep track of the current weather reports and heed frost warnings.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 25, 2017
    Seed starting is generally done early enough for the seeds to germinate in time to be able to plant outside when your last threat of frost is in your planting zone.
  • Murray Hertz Murray Hertz on Mar 28, 2017
    The best time to start seeds indoors is about three weeks ago. The second best time is today.