Tip: Bath your dog with Blue Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas?

+12
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Mar 26, 2017
    Really?!
  • Shirley Shirley on Mar 26, 2017
    I would never use this or any "people" kind of soap on dogs. The PH is all wrong and will cause bad skin problems. Please check with your vet about what to use!!!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Mar 26, 2017
    That has been said before but honestly i would not do it.
  • Dixie Dixie on Mar 28, 2017
    It might kill the fleas but you should go to your vet and purchase some flea killer pills. It's much safer and gets the job done! Fleas spread germs.
  • Susan Giroso Susan Giroso on Mar 29, 2017
    Dawn dish soap is used to clean wildlife after oil spills as long as you make sure to rinse it off thoroughly it should not cause any problems.Flea killer pills can cause stomach problems and diarrhea or constipation.
  • Martha Mahoney Martha Mahoney on Mar 29, 2017
    yes it works. But make sure to use conditioner after. And yes get som flea meds from vet.
  • Lis20137989 Lis20137989 on Mar 29, 2017
    You can add a little brewers yeast to your pets ( dog or cat) food to naturally repel fleas.
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Mar 29, 2017
    I'd try a little Dawn and warm water. My cat's had fleas (and they are in door cats!) and we gave baths in warm water and Dawn. Did not squirt the soap directly on them, suds it up in my hands and then washed them. Absolutely rinse, rinse, rinse, then dry. Best of luck.
  • Lynn Lynn on Mar 29, 2017
    Blue Dawn dish soap is what was reccomended to me by my veterinary office. (ONCE A WEEK ONLY) I acquired a 5 week old puppy that was solid fleas. After bathing in Dawn (leave lather on for 5 min) and fully drying the pup in the morning, that evening I then took an old spaghetti sauce jar and filled 1/2 full with 91% rubbing alcohol. Using a flea comb, comb from snout to tail in one pass. Dip comb in alcohol (fleas get stuck in the tines), repeat until pet has been fully combed. (Flea combing can be done daily, and alcohol is for killing the fleas only, it's NOT applied to your pet) You won't get them all in one day, and since flea shampoos, powder & oral treatment cannot be used on a 5 week old puppy, this was the route we took. And she was much more comfortable after removing the biting fleas
  • Mary Kelly Thaler Mary Kelly Thaler on Mar 30, 2017
    Also great if your dog is sprayed by a skunk!!

Skunk Wash Formula
    1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/2 cup of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon of Dawn liquid soap
    Mix together to make a shampoo for your furry pal.
    Rinse well to remove the shampoo from the fur after vigorously shampooing.
    You may need to double or triple this recipe depending on the weight of your dog.
  • If you live by the ocean and you dog likes the water, (2 of mine do, 1 not a chance), that will take care of it too. Just be sure to rinse them off well and use conditioner as salt water will dry them out. I do the brewers yeast too.
  • CarolineK CarolineK on Mar 31, 2017
    Before topical flea treatments came on the market, we bathed our cats with Dawn, diluted with water. Of course keep it out of the eyes and rinse well. We would then blow dry the cat with a hand held hair dryer. It worked pretty well. It did not harm their skin and they much happier with fleas killed and gone.
  • Bobbie M Bobbie M on Mar 31, 2017
    Blue Dawn has been used for years to clean oil from wildlife. My vet told me it is perfectly okay to mix with my Maltese dog's shampoo. It helps to keep her white, and works in addition to monthly flea treatment. Condition well after bathing. Her skin is perfect; no itching, scratching, etc., and she's beautiful.
  • Judi Holohan Judi Holohan on Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you. I'm thinking that if it is safe enough to wash the dishes I feed my family with then it is probably safe to wash my dog with