Julien K., Hometalk Team
Julien K., Hometalk Team
  • Fairfield, CT

Pegboard Cross-Stitch Coat Hanger

$10
30-45 Minutes

Calling all cross stichers! This project is MADE for you, and even if you have never tried cross stitch before, then this is the time to start. Have you ever thought about using a pegboard as a supersized base before? You can create virtually any word and in any colorway that you would like. Once you've completed the word, apply a few simple hooks and there you have it - your own enormous cross stitched wall coat hanger. Budget-friendly, functional, custom and trendy. Does it get any better than that?!
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
SUPPLIES:

- Pegbard (cut to the size of your choice)

- Yarn

- Pegboard Hooks

- Tape (optional)

- Scissors

pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Step 1: Prepare your yarn, by wrapping the end with tape. I used painters tape to create a stiffer end to make threading easier. This is completely optional, but sure does speed things up!
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
This is completely optional, but sure does speed things up!
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Step 1: Pull your yarn through the first hole from the bottom to the top side.
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Step 2: Thread your yarn through the next hole, directly across from it on an angle. Repeat these steps until you have formed an 'X' shape.
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Step 3: Continue creating 'X's until your first letter is completely formed.
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
My letter 'H' is almost complete!
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
The rest of my letters are almost done too. Can you guess what word I'm using? I've also opted to use an ombre colorway in various shades of blue.
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Step 4: Add your wall hooks.

Once your word is complete, add your pegboard hooks. Add a little or a lot! The possibilities are endless.
pegboard cross stitch coat hanger
Did you guess the word 'Home'? I wanted to use a word that was simple and fitting for our entryway. It's to the point and extremely functional!

• Yarn  (Michaels)
  • Pegboard  (Home Depot)
  • Pegboard Hooks  (Home Depot)

• Judy Prier Burgess

Cute! How did you attach the pegboard to the wall?
    I guess there is a regular way to do that, but I've never used pegboard and I don't see any screws.

• Yvonne Ozuniga

Really nice!
  • Pam

I've used melted wax instead of tape. Dip the yarn tip in wax Use your fingers to pinch the end. You now have a stiff point to work with