Pat aka Queen of Thrift
Pat aka Queen of Thrift
  • Scottsboro, AL

Vintage Chair From Thrift Store Gets an Update

It's a well constructed heavy chair that has seen its better days. It now has a new life in my master suite sitting area!
The wood was still in great condition.  Cushions were  worn and had lost their shape.
The wood was still in great condition. Cushions were worn and had lost their shape.
So I began ripping the cushions apart and look what I discovered!!!
The burlap lining was still in fair condition....good enough to recycle!
I planned to remove the zippers and use them in the new cushions but the fabric was so thick and the stitching was so tight that I decided it was not worth the time it would take.
There were springs in the seat and the back.  I saved them for repurposing into???
There were springs in the seat and the back. I saved them for repurposing into???
The next step was to lightly sand the chair frame and legs in preparation for the new stain.
After the sanding was finished I cleaned up all the sanding dust with a piece of tack cloth.
After a thorough cleaning with tack cloth the chair is now ready for the new stain.
I found a MinWax stain that can be used over the original finish...with very little prep work! I chose a mahogany color to match my bedroom furniture.
The first coat was a reddish color but after the second coat it was the exact color that I needed!
vintage chair from thrift store gets an update, painted furniture
I used thick cushion foam and purchased fabric to make new cushions.  It is now in it's new home. Enjoying it very much!
I used thick cushion foam and purchased fabric to make new cushions. It is now in it's new home. Enjoying it very much!

• Jeanette S

Love this chair! It is funny that you posted this. The other day we were in Goodwill (when we drop off things, we always have to see what they have) and there was a chair of this era that was a glider type! Had I had room for it, it would have been mine...$15!

• Gladys

Beautiful!!! Did you make the stool, Pat, or did it come with the chair? I didn't see it mentioned but see it in the final pix. Very, very nice make-over! Thanks for sharing.