Country Chic Paint
Country Chic Paint
  • Canada

Old World Finish Filing Cabinet

Briar-Rose from Rustic Reclaimed turned a thrift shop filing cabinet into a thing of beauty using Vanilla Frosting, Texture Powder, and Graphite Glaze!
old world finish filing cabinet
I scored this filing cabinet for a whopping $7 at a local thrift shop! It was pretty sad, and a little bit broken but nothing a little wood glue and Country Chic Paint couldn’t fix!
old world finish filing cabinet
I am loving this finish! I used a few Country Chic Paint products that I’d never used before and I was so pleased with how easy they were to work with.

I re-watched a few of Country Chic Paint’s tutorials on each product before I got started. I should mention that I have been terrified to use anything that resembled glaze because I (had the unrealistic) thought that it would be so hard to manipulate to where I wanted it. I was shocked at how easy it was to work with! Country Chic’s water based glaze in Graphite was a delight! I also tried out their texture powder and it is AWESOME!

Here’s this sad little filing cabinet’s before photo:
old world finish filing cabinet
I started by taking off the hardware and giving the whole thing a few coats of Vanilla Frosting. I let that dry for several hours and mixed up some Texture Powder with the same colour paint. I used my Short Handle Paint Brush to blot the texture powder around the edges of the drawers, heavy in the corners and fading down the sides. I left this to dry overnight.

Using my Oval Paint Brush I blotted the Graphite Glaze much the same way. Heavy in the corners and fading out down the sides. I used a damp rag to move it around a bit and blot into a faded colour moving into the centre of the drawer. I found it was easiest to work with after I lightly wiped the whole drawer down making it a little bit damp.

I continued the same method on the top and down the sides.
old world finish filing cabinet
old world finish filing cabinet
I LOVE how this turned out. I’m so happy to finally have a unique and handy cabinet in my freshly made “organization space”. This gorgeous Gather Frame was also done using Vanilla Frosting & Furniture Glaze in Graphite. (It was my test subject!) ♥ I love them both and am so glad I set my fear aside to finally try the Glaze out.

• Texture Powder  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Furniture Glaze  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Furniture & Home Decor Paint  (Country Chic Paint)

To see more: http://blog.countrychicpaint.com

• Loretta

What was the original finish on the cabinet? Was it laminate or real wood, looks like laminate to me.

• GMS

I love this, was it a real wood cabinet prior, do you think this would work on a metal cabinet also? and what is Vanilla Frosting paint, I never heard of that, is it a brand or a color? Thank you for any answers

• Country Chic Paint

Yes, you can find a full list of retail locations on our website and you can also order from our online shop :)

• LINDA

This gave me a chuckle....looks like a snowman with his head bent back....lol!!
  • DB1106

I have the same ugly laminate file cabinet - definitely doing this THANKS!