Fixing a Crack in a Wall or Ceiling

$20
1 Day

Did you know that fixing a crack in some drywall on a wall or ceiling can be quick and easy? We have had a long crack in the ceiling of our living room for quite some time and I thought I might as well go ahead and try to patch it up. With a couple of standard items from the hardware store you can eliminate a crack and have it patched up in a jiff!
SUPPLIES:
-Drop Cloth
-Dust Control Compound
-Mesh Joint Tape
-Goodbye Cracks Spray
-Tape Knife Set
-Metal Tape Knife
-Sanding Block
Here is a nice picture of what I was working with. This went the full stretch of the ceiling on either side of the fan.

STEP 1: Lay drop cloth over all the floors and furniture of the room you will be working in as this project will cause lots of dust.
STEP 2: Lay mesh joint tape over the crack you are going to work on starting at one end and laying it over the entire length of the crack.
STEP 3. Cut off the end of the tape with a taping knife. You can just press against the tape and pull the tape roll from the line of tape.
STEP 4: Spread joint compound over the entire crack and the tape you just laid down making sure to cover the tape entirely.
STEP 5: Even out the compound by running over it with a metal tape knife. Allow to dry completely. I let mine rest overnight.
STEP 6: Use your sanding block to sand down any rough spots and even out the compound with the rest of the ceiling. **Make sure you wear a mask and goggles as this stuff creates LOTS of dust.
STEP 7: Once everything is nice and sanded and smooth you can spray it with your goodbye crack spray. This will help to keep the crack from reappearing by shrinking and expanding with the change of temperatures and moisture. Allow this to dry for 30 minutes and apply another layer.
STEP 8: Paint your ceiling or wall to cover up the seam you covered.
Once the paint has dried take a step back and marvel at the crack that is no more!
Here is a before and after of the crack I covered. Sometimes you will need to re-drill drywall into a beam beforehand or clean away broken pieces from the crack beforehand.
Here is another angle of the fix!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• 3.5 Qt. Pre-Mixed Joint Compound  (Home Depot)
  • 2 in., 4 in. and 6 in. Tape Knife Set  (Home Depot)
  • 9 ft. x 12 ft. 0.7 mil Drop Cloth (3-Pack)  (Home Depot)

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable

• Molly Brown
    Molly Brown

It's gotta leave a slight raised area that can be seen when the light is right.....How can it not?

• Kathlyn Parsneau
    Kathlyn Parsneau

What if your ceiling is made with bumpy material.

• Brenda Simpson
    Brenda Simpson
    18 minutes ago

I have old plaster ceiling. A crack in the kitchen is driving me crazy! I’m afraid if I tape it, I won’t be able to sand it enough to be flush and I will certainly have to paint the whole room? Professional plasterers cost a fortune. Thanks, Brenda

• Ren
    Ren

Had a crack the length of my greatroom. Paid twice to have fixed by ‘professionals’ that didn’t last. I painstakingly fixed as described and used Goodbye Crack spray. Perfection! For exactly 2 weeks until weather changed overnight from 72 degrees to 29 degrees. The crack reappeared just like before. Goodbye crack is no longer made. I had hoped it was the miracle I was looking for but wasn’t. Will need to learn to live with it or as other writer mentioned use wall covering or beams.....

• Srbaber
      Srbaber

Thanks for sharing the update regarding Goodbye Crack Spray. I too have a crack, more than one that continues to return. They are such an eye sore.

• CromL
    CromL

Wow, it's a great work! I must try it, cause I also have a crack. I think I'll reply here when I'll finish it.