Fixing a Crack in a Wall or Ceiling

$20
1 Day

Did you know that fixing a crack in some drywall on a wall or ceiling can be quick and easy? We have had a long crack in the ceiling of our living room for quite some time and I thought I might as well go ahead and try to patch it up. With a couple of standard items from the hardware store you can eliminate a crack and have it patched up in a jiff!
SUPPLIES:
-Drop Cloth
-Dust Control Compound
-Mesh Joint Tape
-Goodbye Cracks Spray
-Tape Knife Set
-Metal Tape Knife
-Sanding Block
Here is a nice picture of what I was working with. This went the full stretch of the ceiling on either side of the fan.

STEP 1: Lay drop cloth over all the floors and furniture of the room you will be working in as this project will cause lots of dust.
STEP 2: Lay mesh joint tape over the crack you are going to work on starting at one end and laying it over the entire length of the crack.
STEP 3. Cut off the end of the tape with a taping knife. You can just press against the tape and pull the tape roll from the line of tape.
STEP 4: Spread joint compound over the entire crack and the tape you just laid down making sure to cover the tape entirely.
STEP 5: Even out the compound by running over it with a metal tape knife. Allow to dry completely. I let mine rest overnight.
STEP 6: Use your sanding block to sand down any rough spots and even out the compound with the rest of the ceiling. **Make sure you wear a mask and goggles as this stuff creates LOTS of dust.
STEP 7: Once everything is nice and sanded and smooth you can spray it with your goodbye crack spray. This will help to keep the crack from reappearing by shrinking and expanding with the change of temperatures and moisture. Allow this to dry for 30 minutes and apply another layer.
STEP 8: Paint your ceiling or wall to cover up the seam you covered.
Once the paint has dried take a step back and marvel at the crack that is no more!
Here is a before and after of the crack I covered. Sometimes you will need to re-drill drywall into a beam beforehand or clean away broken pieces from the crack beforehand.
Here is another angle of the fix!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• 3.5 Qt. Pre-Mixed Joint Compound  (Home Depot)
  • 2 in., 4 in. and 6 in. Tape Knife Set  (Home Depot)
  • 9 ft. x 12 ft. 0.7 mil Drop Cloth (3-Pack)  (Home Depot)

• Anitra

Can u used something else to repair your ceiling

• Momo s

I would probably just groove it out a little, spackle, sand and paint. Simpler for me...

• Molly Brown

It's gotta leave a slight raised area that can be seen when the light is right.....How can it not?

• Kathlyn Parsneau

What if your ceiling is made with bumpy material.

• Hope

Amanda....Thank You So Much!!! I have been fighting with drywall cracks, that keep coming back after I patch them, for years! I always use the mesh tape, etc. but, have never used the magical spray. I'd never even heard about it until I read your post but, you can bet I will be getting some GoodBye Crack Spray for sure!

Have an Awesome Day!!

~ Hope ~

• Ren

Had a crack the length of my greatroom. Paid twice to have fixed by ‘professionals’ that didn’t last. I painstakingly fixed as described and used Goodbye Crack spray. Perfection! For exactly 2 weeks until weather changed overnight from 72 degrees to 29 degrees. The crack reappeared just like before. Goodbye crack is no longer made. I had hoped it was the miracle I was looking for but wasn’t. Will need to learn to live with it or as other writer mentioned use wall covering or beams.....