Tips For Painting Mason Jars

$5

If you love this project, be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive updates regularly!

Do you have a few mason jars sitting around your house? Maybe they are being used as a vase for some flowers right now or possibly drinking glasses (that’s what we do in our house). I am going to show you how to paint mason jars and when we’re done you’ll feel confident on how to transform a plain mason jar into a colorful piece of decor with just some simple craft paint!

Today’s guide on how to paint mason jars is part of a monthly challenge to DIY a craft using just the supplies we already have on hand. I’ve had just a fun time trying to get creative with my supplies and this month was no different.

how to paint mason jar

Supplies:

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Foam brush
  • Cotton pad or cotton ball
  • 220 grit sandpaper
how to paint mason jar

Step 1. Clean your mason jar with rubbing alcohol

I just use a cotton pad to spread rubbing alcohol all over the mason jar. You only need to clean the outside of the mason jar with the rubbing alcohol. This will remove any oils or other grim and help the paint to adhere.

how to paint mason jar
how to paint mason jar

Step 2. Paint mason jar

Yep, it’s really that simple. I usually do three coats of acrylic craft paint using a foam brush. You may need more or less paint depending on your paint color and preferences. Be sure to let the paint fully dry in between coats.

how to paint mason jar

I’ve always used acrylic craft paint to paint mason jars. I know others that have used chalk paint too, but craft paint is much more affordable so I’ll stick with it because it works great.

how to paint mason jar
how to paint mason jar

Step 3. Distress mason jar

I use a fine 220 grit sandpaper and focus the raised areas of text and design on the mason jar. I love the look of the distressed painted mason jar!

Step 4. Enjoy! 

You can use the painted mason jars for so many uses around your house!

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol
Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Ann34193483

Must I put n sealer on thie jars

• Barbara Henning

I always seal my with a spray matte finish sealer. Krylon makes one that I use often. Hope this helps.

• Ronda Morgan

Do you need to cure it in the oven?

• Kma38790520

I would look like to try this but want to know how to ensure tg ge p as int does not come off and how to wash the painted jar.

Thank you!

• Very easy project. Everybody has all of these items laying around the house.

Nice Job.

The Hollowtree Wood Craft Company

Stanley and Gaylynn Silveria

• M. A. Hewitt

I love trying new things. This is easy, and fun.

• Kate

I have clear glass covering a dining light I will definately paint. Thank you.