Tips For Painting Mason Jars

$5

If you love this project, grab your quick start DIY guide & subscribe to our blog!

Do you have a few mason jars sitting around your house? Maybe they are being used as a vase for some flowers right now or possibly drinking glasses (that’s what we do in our house). I am going to show you how to paint mason jars and when we’re done you’ll feel confident on how to transform a plain mason jar into a colorful piece of decor with just some simple craft paint!

Today’s guide on how to paint mason jars is part of a monthly challenge to DIY a craft using just the supplies we already have on hand. I’ve had just a fun time trying to get creative with my supplies and this month was no different.

Supplies:

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Foam brush
  • Cotton pad or cotton ball
  • 220 grit sandpaper

Step 1. Clean your mason jar with rubbing alcohol

I just use a cotton pad to spread rubbing alcohol all over the mason jar. You only need to clean the outside of the mason jar with the rubbing alcohol. This will remove any oils or other grim and help the paint to adhere.

Step 2. Paint mason jar

Yep, it’s really that simple. I usually do three coats of acrylic craft paint using a foam brush. You may need more or less paint depending on your paint color and preferences. Be sure to let the paint fully dry in between coats.

I’ve always used acrylic craft paint to paint mason jars. I know others that have used chalk paint too, but craft paint is much more affordable so I’ll stick with it because it works great.

Step 3. Distress mason jar

I use a fine 220 grit sandpaper and focus the raised areas of text and design on the mason jar. I love the look of the distressed painted mason jar!

Step 4. Enjoy! 

You can use the painted mason jars for so many uses around your house!

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Kma38790520
    Kma38790520

I would look like to try this but want to know how to ensure tg ge p as int does not come off and how to wash the painted jar.

Thank you!

• Katherine Jamieson Adamo
      Katherine Jamieson Adamo

You can buy the FolkArt Enamel paint or any other craft enamel paint. Let it dry 1 hour then place in COLD oven. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 min and let cool in oven. This ensures it will not come off, and is top shelf dishwasher safe.

• Betty
    Betty

I painted wood with brown acrylic i did 3 coats and then i wanted to use Med crackle paint but i didn't understand how to use it. It said use a base coat first after you painted the wood.

• Trish
    Trish

I followed the steps and waited several days between coats. When I put on 2nd coat my paint just peeled off from first coat. So I had a peeling mess, ran it under hot water and all the paint came off so I can start over but how do I prevent this from happening again? I want to make soap/lotion dispenser and I don’t want all the paint to come off the first time they get wet. I used acrylic craft paint in matte finish.

• Tamara
      Tamara

u need multi purpose or surface paint (wood, glass, metal) same area in paint But usually top shelf of the unit. Usually cost is $1 more.

• Kate
    Kate

I have clear glass covering a dining light I will definately paint. Thank you.

• Deb
      Deb

Unicorn spit is great over glass

• LaVerne Denise Joseph
    LaVerne Denise Joseph

Inspired. I'm going to try this for my self. LOVE THIS 💯! Thanks!