Tips For Painting Mason Jars

$5

If you love this project, grab your quick start DIY guide & subscribe to our blog!

Do you have a few mason jars sitting around your house? Maybe they are being used as a vase for some flowers right now or possibly drinking glasses (that’s what we do in our house). I am going to show you how to paint mason jars and when we’re done you’ll feel confident on how to transform a plain mason jar into a colorful piece of decor with just some simple craft paint!

Today’s guide on how to paint mason jars is part of a monthly challenge to DIY a craft using just the supplies we already have on hand. I’ve had just a fun time trying to get creative with my supplies and this month was no different.

Supplies:

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Foam brush
  • Cotton pad or cotton ball
  • 220 grit sandpaper

Step 1. Clean your mason jar with rubbing alcohol

I just use a cotton pad to spread rubbing alcohol all over the mason jar. You only need to clean the outside of the mason jar with the rubbing alcohol. This will remove any oils or other grim and help the paint to adhere.

Step 2. Paint mason jar

Yep, it’s really that simple. I usually do three coats of acrylic craft paint using a foam brush. You may need more or less paint depending on your paint color and preferences. Be sure to let the paint fully dry in between coats.

I’ve always used acrylic craft paint to paint mason jars. I know others that have used chalk paint too, but craft paint is much more affordable so I’ll stick with it because it works great.

Step 3. Distress mason jar

I use a fine 220 grit sandpaper and focus the raised areas of text and design on the mason jar. I love the look of the distressed painted mason jar!

Step 4. Enjoy! 

You can use the painted mason jars for so many uses around your house!

• Mason jar
  • Acrylic craft paint
  • Rubbing alcohol

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Trish
    Trish

I followed the steps and waited several days between coats. When I put on 2nd coat my paint just peeled off from first coat. So I had a peeling mess, ran it under hot water and all the paint came off so I can start over but how do I prevent this from happening again? I want to make soap/lotion dispenser and I don’t want all the paint to come off the first time they get wet. I used acrylic craft paint in matte finish.

• CATHY
      CATHY

Trish, I appreciate you asking that question all the replies are good ones very informative thank you thanks everyone for sharing.

• Krysti
    Krysti

Can you distress after curing in oven? Or will it peel?

• Krysti
    Krysti

Can you distress paint after curing, or will they peel?

• Kate
    Kate

I have clear glass covering a dining light I will definately paint. Thank you.

• CATHY
      CATHY

I've been wanting to try the unicorn spit I seen a table with a sunflower with painted with the unicorn spit it's gorgeous.

• LaVerne Denise Joseph
    LaVerne Denise Joseph

Inspired. I'm going to try this for my self. LOVE THIS 💯! Thanks!