Amanda C, Hometalk Team
Amanda C, Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

William Sonoma Knockoff Vertical Herb Garden

$15-30

I love cooking with fresh herbs! I have had herbs outside before, but they couldn't hold up through the year considering I live in NY so I thought I would bring some indoors to have on hand. I saw a great looking chalkboard faced vertical herb box sold by William Sonoma, but it was a pretty penny and I figured I could make my own. This vertical herb box not only provides fresh herbs right in your kitchen, but looks great on your wall with all it's leafy green beauty!

william sonoma knockoff vertical herb garden

SUPPLIES:
-1"x4"x12' Common Board
-Herbs of Your Choice
-Hacksaw
-8 1.25" Wood Screws
-1" Tack Nails
-Hammer
-Moisture Mats
-Drill
-1/8" x2'x4' Hardwood Tempered Board

STEP 1: Measure the space you will need to fit all of your herbs both length and width. I had 6 different herbs I was wanting to keep on hand so I lined them up and measured for 3 rows with 2 in each row. Cut your piece of common board to measure the full length and distance in each direction.

Cut 4 pieces in total with 2 measuring the length and 2 the width that you need.

STEP 2: Set up your wood pieces where both length pieces run parallel to each other and both width pieces run parallel to each other and each meet in the corners to create a rectangle. Drill a pilot hole into each corner through both width and length pieces.

Secure the pieces together with a screw through each pilot hole.

At this point it should look like the picture on the far right.

STEP 3: Place your rectangle outline on your tempered board and trace around the perimeter.

Use your hacksaw to cut out the shape you just traced.

STEP 4: Use your tack nails to secure the tempered board to the rectangular box.

STEP 5: Lay your moisture mats on the bottom of the box. These will help to keep the water levels correct for your herbs.

STEP 6: Measure the inside of your box both length and width.

STEP 7: Take your extra tempered board to cut pieces of board that are the same height as your box and the same length and width measured in step 6.

Glue your pieces of board in place with liquid nails or wood glue.

To fit the width pieces in place you will have to break them in half and fit them on either side of the lengthwise piece.

STEP 8: Cut pieces of wood from your common board to frame the perimeter of the box. These pieces will measure longer than the pieces you initially cut in step 1.

STEP 9: Use wood glue or liquid nails to adhere the frame pieces you just cut together. Then take tack nails and nail them in the corners to help secure the frame together.

Now place your frame over the box and secure it in place by drilling pilot holes in the corners and then screwing wood screws through the holes.

STEP 10: Turn the box over and place picture hangers on either side evenly aligned with one another.

STEP 11: (optional) Paint the box with chalkboard paint (or with the color of your choice)

STEP 12: Once the box is dry you can plant your herbs in the cubbies created inside. Make sure you pack enough dirt in that it it nice and secure. Also be sure to water it before placing it on the wall. Then you are ready to hang it!

Now you can label your planter according to the herbs you have planted.

I love having this green freshness in my kitchen and I can't wait to cook up some delicious meals with all the tasty herbs!!

• Holly

Instead of breaking the center dividers, why didn’t you notch them so that they fit together? Wouldn’t this have created more stability and keep them from shifting?

• Heather Kuder

So then useing mate paper u don't need to use soil?

• Joe Jones

Once the box is dry you can plant the herbs in the cubbies created inside. Be sure to pack enough dirt in that it is nice and secure. Also don’t forget to water it.

Thats her exact words in step 12.

• Heather Kuder

So u can use this method for out door planters?

• Joe Jones

Sure you can just know that outside plants need water more often.