Feeling proud: Make an outdoor litter box for your cat? Yes!

+9
I love my mama and baby cat but I don't love indoor litter boxes.
So I tried an experiment.
I bought a bag of play sand and dumped it in an inconspicuous and remote part of our property.
I carried the baby get to I and she knew what to do immediately!
Now they go outside in one place!
I will drag their litter shovel through every once in a while to remove solids to bury and keep them coming back!
More natural and saves money ( and keeps them from digging up flower beds too!)

e make an outdoor litter box for your cat
  • April April on Mar 28, 2017
    all well and good but what happens when the cats wander away from the yard and get hit by a car or get lost? I would hope you are a responsible pet owner and have your animals spaed.

• Spe5095167 Spe5095167 on Mar 28, 2017
    Great job! We do the same for our cat. I HATE indoor litter boxes too. We did a cateo with an outdoor litter box and that totally works for us (and the cat of course).

• None None on Mar 28, 2017
    You know that your outdoor litter box will attract other cats due to the smell. Hope you get your cats fixed or you'll have a bunch more next year.

• See 1 previous
    • None None on Mar 28, 2017
      Ah! A farm would be different. In town it would attract other cats to your yard.

• Millie Sealey Millie Sealey on Mar 28, 2017
    I used an old inexpensive armoire. It had two drawers across the bottom. I removed the bottom of the first drawer and screwed the drawer front in place.
    I then cut a cat size hole in the lower end of the armoire. The bottom drawer holds the litter pan and can be opened to clean. The cat goes into the hole on end, and food and supplies are stored in the upper part of the armoire. I put narrow strips of fabric over the hole to lessen odor, but have not had a problem and it has been used for about 8 years.

• Niki Niki on Mar 29, 2017
    I do this, My cats live in the kennel, half of a garage, and can go in and outdoors. (I have 2 sister cats) When it gets cold I put the litter box inside the kennel. They took to it quickly and learned not to be so lazy. Plus I do not have to clean it 10 months out of the year.

• Rhondagreig Rhondagreig on Mar 30, 2017
    What is the point in having pets if u make them live basically outside while u live inside. Shame on u for making them live in a kennel and not inside with u.

• Gat21899214 Gat21899214 on Apr 24, 2017
      You may judge much too quickly.....
      My cats LOVE having access to the outdoors. It is also joy to watch them enjoy themselves while being active CATS! They have a cat flap. They come and go as they please. They stay close to the house in the back yard and porch area. The flap is closed at night. They don't scratch up my furniture or leave their mark inside the house. To force a cat to live only inside can also be a cruel thing to watch as they sit on the windowsill looking outside. BTW my cats are happy and healthy at age 18 and 10 years old. I live in south Florida.

• Lynda Sadler Lynda Sadler on Apr 02, 2017
    Woah, judge much?

• Some people are pet people, some are not. I think this is a brilliant solution. A little over a year ago someone dumped six (6) cats in my neighborhood. I took them all in. They are now all spayed, neutered, shots, chips, collars, you name it, on my dime. Not to mention upsetting the 3 resident dogs, 3 daily visiting dogs. (There went part of the new window savings!) First, I love animals, so no stray will ever be homeless in my neighborhood. I also did not want a growing herd of feral cats running around, we have enough wildlife to co exist with as it is. These cats will never be adoptable, so handing them over to a shelter seals their fate, not on my watch. (I feel bad if a plant dies.) They come and go as they please during the day and I bring them in at night - too many preditors out there. They KNOW where home is. Most cats are smart - they typically do not get lost. Luckily since I have had them, they prefer their litterbox and my back yard to anywhere else. So, silly me, I had not thought of this and have sand available so going to give it a try! Thanks for the awesome suggestion.

• Donna Ray-Reifler Donna Ray-Reifler on Apr 03, 2017
    Thanks! Yes I end up caring for animals people abandon too. I keep my cats inside most of the time and have even carry them out to their sanlitter box to be their business then take them back inside sometimes! Seems to work for us!