Making a Dreamy Garden Swing for the Backyard

We have a beautiful, well established garden, but it was lacking something. We had no where to sit and just soak up all that beauty. We'd just recently made a teddy bear swing for some of our soft toys and that got me thinking about making this grown up version for the garden.

Now I don't know about you, but I've never outgrown my love for swings. It brings back such lovely carefree memories, where the only thing you needed to worry about was high you could fly. These old bones of mine probably couldn’t handle wild swing rides anymore  but I sure could see myself swing gently under the trees after a long, hard day at work. We have lots of big trees in the garden so finding a spot to hang the swing wasn’t a problem. All we had to try figure out was how to make a dreamy garden swing. The seat was easy enough. We just took a few pallets and joined them together and then painted them with white roof paint. We figured if the paint lasts on the roof for years, it would be perfect for a swing seat too.

For the dreamy bits, we used polystyrene shapes that we found at the craft store. We made a hole through the center of each shape before dipping them into water mixed with exterior waterproof grout.

The polystyrene beads were strung onto a two plastic coated wires and secured with rope clamps so they would stay in position. Just for love we added a few metal hearts that we got from a craft store.

We hung the swing in a large River Bush Willow at the bottom of the garden and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

So if your looking for me I'll be on the swing, that's if hubby hasn't gotten there first  Wanna join us, I promise we'll give you a turn.

P.S. We've added the full tutorial on the blog that shows how we hang the swing

Michelle Leslie

• Pam

I don't have a question, I jus want to say I think this is a beautiful expression of a tender heart and creative mind. It's really amazing. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

• Carol Kiern

I agree it came out pretty, enjoy a cool evening breeze on your garden swing, nice job....

• Michelle Leslie

Thank you so much Pam and Carol

• Joann Kinder

I love this idea. Always wanted this type of swing in my yard.
    • Michelle Leslie

Thank you Joann
    • Jenny

I also adore this precious idea! I've alway wanted to recreate something like this, like I'd had as a child! May need to do this this week! Thanks 4 sharing!

• Rachael Basye

Do the "beads" get in the way of where your hands would go (so you don't fall off the swing)? Very cute... I love the dreamy look. I wish I had some strong tree branches in my yard.
    • Michelle Leslie

Good question Rachael, We spaced the beads far enough apart so they don't cause a problem. My daughter suffers from synaesthesia so she extremely sensitive to rough textures so we had to make sure that it's comfortable for her on the swing too.

• Donna Hathway

Thanks for this. My granddaughter is spending a month with me this summer so this can be a project for her. We live on a ranch and have large trees so maybe a bunch of these.

• Evelyn

Love this....I love a swing. We hung a porch swing in our back tree 6 years ago. Then a single swing when grandkids come to visit us. Everyone likes to swing.

• Michelle Leslie

So true Evelyn and there's nothing nicer than just sitting on the swing and gently swaying back and forth