Tree Stump Side Table DIY

$10
Hello everyone! Today I'm sharing a DIY I did for a pretty little tree stump side table. I know I'm not the first one to get this idea, but I've been seeing them around for a while and have wanted to make one forever. They are pretty expensive in stores, but if you can get your hands on a tree stump for free, it's a super cheap project. I'm happy to finally have tackled this project...and it was pretty easy, too! It just takes a lot of patience. :)The first thing you need to do is find a stump. I was very lucky that my parents had just had a tree taken down in their backyard, so I had plenty to choose from! My dad and I dug through the pile to find the most even stump so we wouldn't have to do any additional leveling.

This tree had been taken down relatively recently, so the bark was still pretty fresh. That made it SUPER easy to remove the bark using a flat head screw driver. In the past, I've removed the bark from tree parts and it has been really difficult (see my DIY cat tree with real branches). I think that waiting until the piece is totally dry makes it harder.

Once the bark was gone, I treated the piece with bleach water to kill some of the mold. Then I set it aside to dry out. This is the part that takes patience. I let it dry out for several months in a dry area (i.e., not sitting outside where it rains!).

I finished the piece with a stain and a polyurethane, and it turned out awesome!

Have you tried to make a tree stump side table before?? What did you think--easy or difficult? Did you remove your bark or keep it on?To read more about this project and check out some more tips, I'd love to have you over on my blog at the link below. Happy Hometalking!
By Brittany Goldwyn

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 21 comments
  • Leda Jones Leda Jones on Jul 12, 2017
    Try connecting with your local pagans, they may want the oak.
  • Ja Ka Smith Ja Ka Smith on Sep 03, 2018

GREAT JOB. I was wondering what to do with a couple of tree stumps I saved from a tree that we recently cut down. It was a favorite childhood tree of my children. But needed to come down 😢 I wanted to preserve whatever I could from it. You've given me an idea. Thx much and again GREAT JOB!!

Next