The Garden Stamp
The Garden Stamp
  • Frederick, MD

Eggshell Seed Starting

$10.00

Last year we had great luck starting tomato and pepper seeds inside eggs. This year we've added reusable crates, eggplants and a twist: color. A little organic food coloring and the simple act of planting seeds goes a long way to chase away the winter doldrums. Here's how we did it in four easy steps.
Jenn
www.gardenstamp.com
new year s seed starting, gardening
new year s seed starting, gardening, Our first planted seedlings of 2014 nest comfortably on the radiator
Our first planted seedlings of 2014 nest comfortably on the radiator.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Peppers n Eggs from 2013 Hoping to achieve the same great results this year
Peppers n' Eggs from 2013. Hoping to achieve the same great results this year.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 1 Prep the eggs Pop the tops empty and rinse them thoroughly
Step 1. Prep the eggs. Pop the tops, empty and rinse them thoroughly.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 2 Bathe and tint the shells in hot water spiked with organic food coloring
Step 2. Bathe and tint the shells in hot water spiked with organic food coloring.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Brown vs white eggs account for the difference in shades
Brown vs white eggs account for the difference in shades.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 3 Spoon in your soil or growing media
Step 3. Spoon in your soil or growing media.
new year s seed starting, gardening, Step 4 Plant seeds near the very top cover gently and water
Step 4. Plant seeds near the very top, cover gently and water.

• Thomas Dubian

Where can I get the ceramic egg holder?(translated from German):Wo beziehe ich die Keramik Eierhalter her?

• Gay Young

I found them on Amazon in both six egg and dozen egg just by googling ceramic egg trays. Not really sure if direct links are okay with the admins on hometalk but I saw them from Bia Cordon Bleu, Rachel Ray stoneware and so on. price for each unit however was above 10 dollars so the project could prove pricey if you are set on using those.

• Becky Myers

You could just use the egg carton bottom. Tear off the top and put your colored eggs shells in the bottom half.

• Prairieflower

Walmart about 4-5 dollars of a tray that holds a dozen. World Market also has them. This is a great idea!

• Anne hayes

Michael's has them at Easter time-sometimes even on clearance

• Diana

I have a couple old egg holders (the ones used for soft boiled egg) that Will look great! How do u take the top off the egg?

• Diana

Can I put them on the floor heater..do u water them a lot? Best way to take top off?

• Carol

Why can't you just crack an egg in half, that way you have 2 to start seeds, plus it's easier to take the eggs out of the shells. There would still be enough room for the soil right?

• Margaret Rabbetts

you need depth to allow the roots to grow, half of the egg shell would not give any room for the roots to gain strength .

• Debbie Martinsen

Did you plant the eggshell in the ground with the plant when you transplanted it or did you break the plant out of the egg first?

• Lou

I used to do this for my kids' teachers at Easter. We put flower seeds in the eggshells and used little baskets lined with Easter grass. The teachers loved them.

• Marilyn

I love this idea! Wish I'd thought of it when my kids were young; they would have loved it, too! I would love to try it.