Upcycled Patio Lights

$15

Transform dollar store plastic planters into sweet hanging pendants for your patio - and it's so easy!
Spring is in the air! Before long we’ll be serving Mojitos on our balcony, and these funky little DIY lights are a great décor addition. Not only is this project easy and adorable, it’s inexpensive. The only supplies needed are plastic flower pots, spray paint, chain, S-hooks, velcro strips, and battery-operated LED lights.
My mind has been racing with all kinds of ways to decorate the plastic “shades,” from spraying them with mirror paint to decoupaging them with a graphic vintage fabric. Alas, I ended up finding some mustard yellow pots, and I used them just as they were. No painting necessary!Often, flower pots will have drainage holes in the bottom. If not, flip the pot over and drill a small hole in the center bottom. Run the chain through the hole and secure the end with an S-hook to keep the pot in place. I bought my chain for just a few cents from Home Depot. Attach a second S-hook to the other end of the chain for hanging.Lastly, attach the light to the inside of the pot with Command velcro strips. Just push the button on the light to switch it on, and you have some beautiful downward ambient lighting for your patio… for less than $7 per light.
My little urban balcony is small, but these hanging lights add a sweet touch (not as sweet as my pug spotted in the photo below!)

• Plastic flower pots  (dollar store)
  • Spray paint (optional)
  • Chain

Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

• Mary Suardi

how did you attached the led light (it looks like a flashlight)? Also, do you then have to climb up to turn them on?
  • Ardale

Since you drill a hole in the bottom of your pots to run your chain thru, do you have a problem with rain dripping down onto your little battery operated lights causing the to quit working? I think this is a very good idea and cute lighting but worry that the push on lights won't work long because of water getting on them.
    • Ardale

Thanks Chuck and Tammi, both great ideas. I have some flower pots that look just like these and I may just try this if I can find how to hang them where I'd like to.
  • Ardale

Wendy, could you tell me where you got your lights? I got those little puck type push on lights and made a couple of cute outdoor table lamps with them using some old but ornate cheap resin lamps I haven't used in several years. I used a clear plastic bowl for the shade, spray painted it white inside and out then added a pretty finial on top that matched the base and hung acrylic crystals around the bottom of the bowl on each table lamp and just used one of those puck lights in each lamp. The puck lights work fine in my table lamps but not sure about a hanging lamp. Your lights have a lot more bulbs in them so I imagine they'd put out more light then the puck lights do. If I can't find them then I'll go ahead and use the puck lights but I think I'll get the puck lights that come with a remote control since I'll be hanging my light above a little patio table and like you I'm fairly short and it'd be hard reaching over and above a table to turn them on and off.