Joy Us garden
Joy Us garden
  • Tucson, AZ

How To Prune & Feed Mint In Pots To Promote Growth

This is all about how to prune and feed mint in pots (or in the garden) to promote the new growth that we wait to see happen in spring.
how to prune feed mint in pots to promote growth
Oh mint, what a wonderful herb you are. Not only is your smell and taste extremely appealing and a delight for the senses, but you look great in the garden too. I live in a temperate climate so by the end of January my Mojito Mint was looking like it needed and wanted a good cut back. Plainly put, it had “the funk”. This is all about how to prune and feed mint in pots (or in the garden) to promote the new growth that we wait to see happen in spring. 
This is how my mint looked before I pruned it – scraggly & much in need of a good haircut.Mint is a herbaceous perennial, like some of the salvias. You can think of it as tender above (the stems and leaves) and hardy (the roots) below. In colder climates its soft stems and leaves die back completely with the 1st hard frost and new growth appears next season when the weather warms.  If you’re new to the world of mint and live in a more temperate climate, don’t despair because yours is looking sad come winter. It’s just what mint does. By the way, there are many varieties and flavors of mint to choose from – some are hardier than others.
Here in Tucson, I needed to cut away the old stems. This mint was looking scraggly, leaves were turning yellowish and falling off and the new growth was already appearing in February. Plainly put, you want to cut out the old to bring on the new. You’ll probably need to prune and clean your mint in mid-summer too because it grows like crazy.
Here’s how the mint looked after its pruning & feeding.I’ve found that mint doesn’t need fertilizing because of its natural, crazy fast growth habit. This is why it’s best to grow mint in a pot unless you want it to take over. It does appreciate organic feeding with a handful or 2 of worm compost and a 1″ layer of compost in spring, which is especially true of mint grown in pots. After getting rid of the old growth you’ll want to gently poke the soil a bit to loosen it up before applying the good stuff. 
This shows you the new growth emerging from the lower stems.Lesson learned: next year I’ll harvest and freeze all my mint leaves by mid-January. I use mint every day and want that new growth to appear as soon as possible.  This Mojito Mint is my new fav. What’s yours?Happy gardening & thanks for stopping by,Nell
Joy Us garden

• Skyval

Why do some folks want non-worm compost?

• Kathy Ruth

The non-worm compost I've considered is called Bokashi and is a way of composting ALL food scraps-bones, cooked and raw meat, dairy, etc. as well as vegetation. It makes a "tea" that you dilute with water before using.
      It is faster, too--two weeks to a month for your first batch.
      It's supposed to be good for those with no yard or desire to have a more traditional compost pile.

• Liliana Wells

You said there are different kinds of mint. Is peppermint a type of mint? I bought a small pot of what the sign said "variegated peppermint". Are you familiar with that? Or was I taken? thanks for the tutorial.

• Pat Feller

if the plant has a square stem, it is related to the mint family. As far as I know, mint is the only plant with a square stem

• Gcl16751272

loved article. First on mint. Use all the time in everything I eat and cook. Where do you get compost and worm compost. Store? when you cut for use any special spot to cut. Thank you so much gclaysg@aol.com

• Gcl16751272

I love mint in almost anything. Ice tea, my morning shake, my cooking. Loved video and article. First one on mint!!! Where may I find worm stuff and local compost? Also when I cut mint for use is there a best spot to promote growth? Thank you Georgie Clays central New Jersey gclaysg@aol.com

• Gary

I planted mine a few years ago and each year it comes back bigger than the last