Almost $0, Magnetic Rustic / Industrial Spice Racks, Upcycled

We had this massive issue with so many spices (47!) that we were stacking them one-on-top-of-the-other. It was messy and annoying. So, with a little internet searching, I found an idea for a magnetic spice rack. The colors of the spices show through the clear containers, and they're so pretty on the wall!

I'm a big proponent of upcycling, so when I saw these frames sitting on the side of the road with a "free!" sign.... well, I knew they were coming home with me to get a new life via the creative efforts of El Esposo and myself!

Frame with a piece of galvanized steel behind

The frames were free, on the side of the road. The spices--well, I already had those! The backing is a piece of sheet metal that was kicking around in the garage, a left-over from another project. The know-how to do this is ALL El Esposo's doing. And he has a shop full of tools, so this does take a little bit of skill. I just did the planning and gathering of the items.

The piece of sheet metal is galvanized steel. DO NOT try to use aluminum--it will not work with magnets! The galvanized steel can be found at any big box hardware store. 12 x 12 sheets are very inexpensive. This piece was a cut-off from a 2' x 3' piece. I think it cost about $10, originally, but at this point it was just scrap metal in the garage. The steel needs to be cut to the measurement of the frame back. You can "score" the sheet steel with a razor knife, over and over, and then "pop" it. (El Esposo is a big guy with a lot of strength. When he first told me this was how he cut it, I didn't believe him... but he did it. Tin snips or sheet metal sheers would work, also. Just score it with a sheet metal break, first.) The edge will be VERY sharp! Hence, for the sake of dusting, and not ripping open finger tips, I asked him to add the wood piece that you see next to the steel. It covers up the steel edge *just enough* to keep it from finger-slicing... The steel attaches by simply hammering small nails through it. Also--the picture wire shown was only so that I could photograph it on the wall. You need this to stay sturdy on a wall, and not move around, so use the D Ring hangers (shown in next picture) and use them with two screws or hangers, directly on the wall.

The D Ring Hangers-- Pre-drill a small hole, smaller than the shank of the screw. Then, use a power screwgun and go right through into the wood frame from behind.

This is a close up of the inside edge. I asked El Esposo to add this because I didn't like the look of the spice tins "sticking out" from the frame. I wanted the frame to have depth. He added a piece of scrap wood, and was very careful with the miters. You can see the differences in the colors of the wood. He GLUED the inner section in, so nail holes wouldn't show up.

(Now for my part!) I purchased a poll of adhesive backed magnets. It cuts well with scissors, and you just measure across the backs of the spice tins. I took off the adhesive backs, and stuck them directly to the tins. You could also use heavy duty magnets that come looking like thick coins. Use E6000 or Goop brand glue to attach them, because those will bond metal-to-metal.

The tins cost 77 cents each from Specialty Bottle on-line. (Cool fact: Specialty Bottle will send you --FREE!--two examples of their products. So I ordered a round one and a square one to see which looked best. I decided on the square ones, and then ordered.) The tins are food safe. these measure 1.4" deep and 2.4" across.

Attach your backings. I used an extra little bit of magnet, just to make it more secure. I also used a sharpie on the back, so I didn't mix up any spices before I got the labels on. (The green stuff all looks alike to me, and mixing up the Cayenne with the Paprika might make for some very shocking Tater Salad!)

I enlisted the aid of a good friend who has GORGEOUS hand writing and she graciously sat and wrote the labels with a fine-tipped white paint pen. I could have orderd labels (too expensive!) but I decided to use some black contact paper, create a template of the inside portion of the tin window, and then cut that from the contact paper. It's a bit time consuming, but the labeling makes it easy to see which spice is which spice.

This is the one in my house, with 47 spices. The more rustic one, with fewer spices, is a wedding gift for a friend in Georgia.

Enjoy! I hope this gives people ideas, inspiration and I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone else has done something similar.

Give your "two cents" on this-- I LOVE FEEDBACK! So many people have commented and given great ideas as to how the would "tweak this." It could be for the stuff in your craft room. It could be for the stuff in your "junk drawer"
(Um. Ok. Lookin' at me for that one!) There are SO many ways to tweak this... Tell me your thoughts!

~Happy thoughts, Lesley and El Esposo

• Mary Wright

I am looking at specialtybottle.com and i do not see where they offer 2 items for free. do you have a link?

• Mary Wright

I did find it, you have to write or call to request the samples.

• Mary Wright

I got the tins today! VERY nice. and the one size is like the altoids, for those who alter them, or make the little games for the shoebox gifts for kids in other countries!
    • Lesley Owens

Dear Mary,

My apologies for not responding! I didn't see your message until today! :( I'm glad you found the area to request the free samples, and wow--3 days and you received them! That's awesome!

If you've worked on a project with them, don't be shy about showing everyone. I really love the creative ideas that are coming from this posting. Each person has a different "tweak" to it, and I've seen some AMAZING variations! (I like your games idea!!!!)

Stay creative!

~Lesley
  • Kim

Really beautiful, how long do spices last?
    • Annette Jacques

Penzey's Spice Company says two years.
    • Cindy Lewis Jaqua

Ilove this. You could also use chalkboard contact paper for the labels. (I have some left over from another project.) I DON'T have much wall space (windows doors pass through). I was thinking a couple small ones on the inside of the cupboard doors.
    • Lesley Owens

As Annette mentioned, I've read that spices last two years. We go through spices pretty frequently, and I rebuy them at the local organic market where they sell in bulk.. which btw, is SO much less expensive than buying in bottles, and you KNOW it's fresh stuff!...so I'm not very concerned about the spices "aging"--and they don't go "bad" in anyway after two years (you won't get sick from using them) they'd just lose their flavor.
    • Emmer Holbrook

powdered spices, with more surface area, go stale faster than leafy or whole spices. just sniff and you'll know if they are losing strength.
  • Sarah Schlosser Furst

Do you find you have a mess, though, since the container lids aren't screw top? I'd be afraid of trying to get the lid off and having spices flying everywhere.
    • Vic9347483

The container has a magnet behind it. You take off the whole container, open the lid, use the spice, replace the lid and then return the container - the magnet will hold it back in place.

• Lesley Owens

Hi Sarah,

It is indeed as Victoria describes it. There isn't any mess because all I'm doing is setting the container flat on the counter, removing the lid, using a tee/tablespoon, replacing the lid, and then putting the tin back onto the steel sheet within the frame.

However, some people have asked about lids without the see-through aspect and also about screw top lids. The company from which I ordered the tins from does make tins with solid, screw-top lids, if you're interested.

Upon request they'll also send you two free examples of their products. Ask for one of the see-through lid type and one of the screw-top lid type, and you can compare and contrast before purchasing...

Best,

Lesley
  • Audrey Grella

This is Really Awesome.
    • Lesley Owens

Thank you Audrey! The big frame with 47 spices was our first attempt, and we're making more!
  • Jen7888115

where did you get the tins?
    • Angelsmp3

The tins cost 77 cents each from Specialty Bottle on-line. (Cool fact: Specialty Bottle will send you --FREE!--two examples of their products.

• Pat

The tins cost 77 cents each from Specialty Bottle on-line

• Barbara Vaughan Campbell

Do the tins hold the whole bottle of spice?
    • Lesley Owens

Hello Barbara!

My apologies for not responding sooner!

Yes, these tins did indeed hold a "small" spice container (ie, the typical McCormick's bottle), and I judge that by the fact that I had one or two McCormick's bottles that were near-full when I put them into the tins.

As I mentioned, Specialty Bottle is more than happy to send you two of their tins (free of charge, AND no S&H charges!) so that you can see, feel and try out their products.

For the second spice rack that I created (the smaller one with only 20 spices) I took a spice tin and went to my local organic market place which sells bulk spices. I asked the gentleman behind the counter to "eyeball" each spice for me using the tin as a measurment for what I needed. He came very close on each one, and when I did have just a smidge extra of something from that excursion, I simply "married it" with the spices on my big rack.

Stay creative!

~Lesley
  • TxCarol in NY

I love this idea as I have 72 spices in 3 different places in my kitchen. This frame would not only look good, but would enable me to gather ALL my spices in one place!! I love to cook, and since my kitchen has limited space, this magnet design would really be more convenient while adding an element of design practicality. You are so inspiring!! Thanks, Carol M, Houston, TX
    • Lesley Owens

Thank you so much! I love up-cycling, reusing, and giving people ideas! Please "follow" me because I plan on posting more of our projects-- we've been doing this sort of thing for 15 years. On a whim I posted my herb gardens from last year, and everyone seems to like them... posting this was on a whim, as well!
    • Diane Salazar

Can you just come make mine? Everything always looks so much better in my head.
    • Lesley Owens

Lol, Diane! Draw it out on paper, first, and use some of the helpful hints I gave. I worked in my mother-in-laws craft store for many years, which is how I know about glues and crafting things... and then I became a formally trained artist, so I found out how to plan and design. Now, I've sort of melded those two - Art and Craft -- with upcycling, recycling, repurposing and trying to make functional items that have a pleasing look. Please follow me, as I'll be posting more of the things that El Espsoso (my husband) and I have created!
  • Sin17891520

What do you do with all your half empty bottles of spices??

• Diane McKnight

i keep one in my pocketbook with pens and a stylus in it. The others i have small items - buttons by color, stitch markers, yarn needles, etc

• Sin17891520

Oh - those are great ideas! I love the spice rack.

• Lesley Owens

Hi Sindis! Half empty bottles of spices in my house are like half empty bottles of wine... Not gonna be there for long! Lol, really, these tins hold about a full spice jar. You might note we have some bigger ones too, only because we REALLY go through certain spices. Now, what I have planned for those EMPTY bottles which USED to contain the spices... well, that's for another posting!

• Lesley Owens

Hi Diane. I keep a lot of "little stuff" in my camping gear orgainized with the empties. Matches, cotton-ball fire starters glazed in vaseline, etc. The plastic spice jars are water proof, so if the back pack gets wet, we'll still have dry things that we need, later.

• Dod11697098

I am wondering how you get the spices out without spilling them?

• Lesley Owens

Hi Dodiekk! I remove the spice from the frame--just walk up, and pull it off, in the same way you'd pull a magnet off the fridge-- set it on my counter, open it, and use my table or teaspoon. Then, put the lid back on and place it back in the frame. Voila!

• Kat5821506

In the pic of yours it looks like you have 2 sizes of tins, could you tell me the sizes you used?
    • Lesley Owens

Hi Kathy! You are correct! For the one I made for myself, there are two sizes, because with certain spices, we use A LOT. Cumin is my go-to for nearly everything, so we needed a larger container. I ordered both sizes through Specialty Bottle Company. The smaller one is item number "TCSS4" and is 2.4" wide by 1.4" deep. the larger one is item number "TCSS8" and is 3" wide by 2.1" deep. Call or email Specialty Bottle and they will send you any TWO items you want for FREE (they don't even charge for shipping!) so that you can see, feel and compare two items. I like these because the lids stay tight, and they are food safe. Specialty Bottle also makes other tins, so there's a selection of sizes, shapes, clear, not clear... and they are super helpful on the phone.
    • Kat5821506

Thank you for the info. I have been wanting to make one of these and have seen it done many times but these tins look the best. Will definitely be making my own.
  • Renda

Well, I just have to ask, Do you ever have problems with the lid popping off when you are pulling them free of the magnetic base? That would undoubtedly make a huge mess....
    • Lesley Owens

Hello Rusty, I thought about that, as well. I noticed that the place I ordered them from also has screw-top lid tins, which was another option, if it's a concern for you or others... When I started planning this, I called the company because I *really* wanted the ones with the clear lids, but I had the same concern you mentioned. Specialty Bottle was nice enough to send me --free of charge, no shipping and handling, nada... truly FREE-- two examples of their products, so I could see/feel/test them. I was really impressed. The tins have snug-fitting lids. I used the two I got as samples for two months, with spices in them, trying it out. I didn't want to spend money before I'd "taken them for a test drive."
    • Renda

Thank you for answering my concern! I may give this a whirl, it looks fabulous!

• Rkujan

Is the contact paper on the inside or outside? Does it get worn after awhile?
    • Lesley Owens

Hi Rkujan! The contact paper is on the outside of the clear top. I haven't had them long enough to be sure how the contact paper would "wear" but it's been a few weeks now, and they're still perfect. You could also take a thin paint pen right to the clear lid, but I like the idea of being able to remove the label or change it, so the contact paper is what I used. Cool fact: The contact paper is pretty forgiving and is NOT permanent, so if you mess up while placing it, you can take it back off and re-position it!
    • Lesley Owens

Update: A year later, lots and LOTS of use in the kitchen: The contact paper is holding up PERFECTLY!!!! :) ~Lesley

• Jerideanne

I love this idea, but couldn't find the specialty bottling company on the internet. Can you send the web site & what size did you order?
    • Lesley Owens

It's SpecialtyBottle (dot) com. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to sites)
    • Lesley Owens

I ordered the smaller ones item # "TCSS4" which are 2.4" across and 1.4" deep. I also ordred "TCSS4" which is 3" across and 2.1" deep. The smaller ones are 77 cents, the larger are 98 cents. The small ones hold 4 oz and that's way more than enough for most people and most spices. Hope that helps!
    • Bklynbetts65

I found this link: http://www.specialtybottle.com - I know that I got some bottles from them in the past. There is a whole section on tins.
      Hope this helps!
    • Jerideanne

Thank you Bklynbetts65
  • Pamela Stevens

I did domething like this with round tins, but often I can't get the lids off, and endoup puncturing the plastic part of the lid. Have you run into this? Do you have a solution?
    • Lesley Owens

No, I haven't. What company did you order them from? Do you remember?

I ordered from Specialty Bottle because they were nice enough to send me samples which I tried out for a couple of months....
    • Jane

You could order spices from the Sabbath Lake Shakers in Maine. They come in these times. They grow the spice ànd if you order $50 worth you can mail order them.

• Rani

I have a teensy galley kitchen with almost no wall space and probably as many spices as you, Lesley. Also have a piece of stainless steel, formerly the back panel of an old desktop computer & many frames. I'm thinking of attaching it to the side of my fridge! This could seriously liberate a lot of countertop clutter & cabinet space.
    • Mary E Rosson Woods

I love this idea! ESPECIALLY Rani's. Definitely going to be on my growing list of DIY!!
    • Lesley Owens

Rani: WOW! Piece of steel from an old PC back? That's really clever! And Mary: Thank you!
  • Amy Rohde

This is a great idea and looks perfectly divine. But since they are small containers don't you still have all the leftover spices, in the original bottles, stored somewhere? I apologize if you've already addressed this!
    • Lesley Owens

Hi Amy! No apology necessary. I really didn't have left-overs because not all my original containers were full. The small tins hold almost a full "McCormick" size jar. In fact, to make the second spice rack (the one with only 20 spices) I actually drove to a local place that sells spices in bulk. It was *much cheaper* than buying by the jar and they rotate their stock frequently, so I know it's fresh. The guy behind the counter at the organic store "eyeballed" the spices as he put them into packets for me(I'd brought one of the tins with me, so he could see how much I needed of each) --and eye-balling isn't very scientific, so I did have one or two with "leftovers," though they weren't a lot. What was left over I threw in with mine on the larger rack! I HIGHLY recommend going to a place where they sell bulk spices. You'll be shocked at the price difference.

• Sylvia Candler

My local bulk spice store sells by the ounce or portion thereof so take your container with you and they will fill it to your specifications. Supporting the local mom and pop stores is a great thing to do and you get awesome customer service plus their prices are reasonable.
    • Glenda Topping

Great idea! Cannot wait to put this into action.

• Lesley Owens

Glenda- Thank you! When you complete it, post a picture so we can see your take on it! Keep creating!
    • Arose4cherry

Thanks I have a small kitchen and need the cabinet space. This is perfect I already have the frame and the spot on the wall picked out! Can't wait.

• Amy L

I love this. Can't wait to start making my own.
    What did you use on top of the metal??? Paint? Fabric?

• Lesley Owens

Hi ASL! On the larger spice rack I used a high-end spray paint (Rustoleum) that takes well to metal. On the smaller spice rack, I just let the metal show through (it gives it a very Rustic "feel"). I'm experimenting with Contact papers as well. I don't know if fabric over the metal would work, although I don't see why not! Let me know how it turns out!

• Gilda Gottrox

Why not use covers that are not see-through? Spices are supposed to be protected from light and heat, to retain flavor and freshness. Solid coverss on the containers would protect them from light. Otherwise, this is a very clever idea.
    • Lesley Owens

Hi Walshwalsh! You certainly can use spice tins that don't have the see-through lids, if that's what you prefer. (FYI, Specialty Bottle stocks those, as well, and as I mentioned they are happy to send, free -of-charge, examples of their containers so that you can see, feel and compare the product you're ordering!) In terms of protection from light and heat, I've noticed that most spices come in clear glass containers, so while it is true they will retain more of their properties if protected from light, I don't think it's a deal-breaker for me, personally. My kitchen area is not especially bright, and the sunlight does not shine into the area where I've placed the spice rack. Because I wanted visual appeal, the colors showing through the tins were a very attractive idea for me. Also, we "go through" spices at a fairly fast pace, easily replacing an entire jar-sized amount within a few months.... If you end up creating your own version, please share it with the community. Others have done so, and it's amazing to see how many different "takes" and "spins" people come up with! Best, Lesley.
    • Gilda Gottrox

Thank you.
    • JackieO./3

I figured with all 47 spices... she would cook a lot ... other wise she wouldn't have so many(47) wow

• Lesley Owens

Hi jac32984966: Actually, I just like to eat... El Esposo usually does the cooking, and it ranges from just the regular stuff to some really neat Indian and Thai stuff, which takes spices that are unlike the most stuff. Example: We use about 5 different styles of curry! So this project came from the fact that we just had spices (quite literally) piling up!

• Mel9738846

Hi! I too have tons of spices in the same tins you have. Mine are taking up to much room in my kitchen drawer. I have been pondering what size frame to buy/find to do this project. What size frame is the one you used for your kitchen? BTW- it looks wonderful! Great job to you and esposo!

• Erin

Just go to the thrift store and pick a frame that fits where you want it to go.

• Mary

Try arranging the spices in a way that would fit on your wall space, then choose a frame that will hold them all.

• Lesley Owens

Hi there! Count up your spices, determine how many you'll need. (I have 47... Yikes!) Then, taking into consideration the width of the tins, leave about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between each (so you can get your fingers around them when you need to remove them) and add up the length of the inner area you'll need, and the width.... Then give yourself at least another two inches! Trust me... You'll want room between each one... Then as another person comments, YES!, going to a thrift store and chosing a frame is the easiest (and most cost-effective) way to chose the frame! Spray or brush to your desired color, then I usually use a spray varnish (my preference is Krylon Matte, but that's because I use it for a multitude of projects, and it's the ONLY varnish that doesn't smear prismacolor fine line pens when I do projects.... But I digress... Unless you have a specific need for a varnish, as I do, just about any will work.

• MYKIDZMOM

Where do you store the spices left in the large cans?

• Lesley Owens

I try to buy my spices at the local orgainic place which has spices in bulk... therefore, I have no left overs! I simply walk in with my empty tin, tell the man behind the counter to "eye ball" what I need, and I walk out with a celophane baggie that is approxiately what it takes to refill the tin!

• LaRae Lawson

Is El Esposo for rent?!

• Lesley Owens

I KNOW!?! 20+ years ago, I found the man of my dreams: Handsome, great cook, and does the "guy stuff" in my projects!!!!

• ReallyBrandi

• Tbo33778396

Ermagawd! I want him too!!!

• Crystal Beach Groenevelt

My husband approaches a diy project with a diy attitude; do it yourself (don’t involve me in your crazy, hair brained recycled junk projects). After 26 years I don’t even ask for help anymore. I know the answer will be a reason why he can’t do it or why we don’t need it. I’m definitely envious of the closeness you share with a diy partner. It’s like art class for grown ups!!

• Anne

I've been told to keep spices/herbs at their optimum freshness they should be keep in a cool, dry, dark environment. Your thoughts on how your project affects the quality of the herbs/spices.

• Lesley Owens

Well, if you think about it, most spices come in clear jars, and are often kept out.... It's not like meds, where they come in darkened jars... With that said, of course, spices lose their flavor after a certain period of time (that's a given), and you can taste the difference. But my spice rack isn't in direct sun, and we *go through* spices like gang-busters.... So I end up getting more from the bulk section of my orgainic food place every three months or so. For things that I'm very picky about (basil) I grow my own in the summer (a 4' x 3' raised bed), harvest, chop and saute with butter, and then freeze in cubes... I will mention about the this also though: I don't keep any sort of salts in them (garlic or kosher or anything... ) because metal and salt just never mix well.

• Lorijo Nerad

What a beautiful idea!!! We are moving soon and this diy is definitely on my list! Practical, convenient and a wonderful piece of art!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• Pjc1169388

What a great idea. I have so many spice bottles. I was going to use the same frame and metal but attach it with magnets to the side of my fridge to show off snapshots instead of them hanging directly on the fridge then I saw this. I will have to do both.

• Lesley Owens

Dear Pjc: That sounds awesome! Post a pic and show everyone when you've created it! Best, Lesley

• Barb Edlen

Love the look and super clever ingenuity!!

• Lesley Owens

Lorigo Nerad: When you get your DIY version of this dne, please post pictures so we can all see it! Good luck with your move, and happy DIYing!!! ~Lesley

• Tanya

Im in love! Yes of course for myself at some point, but a much more pressing issue... a wonderful friend is getting married in November. Her future-to-be is a chef (an amazing one from what I hear). Thus would be a PERFECT GIFT!! I however have not the skill set, patience, nor brief moment of free time to do This. Would you make one for me??

• Lesley Owens

Yes, but it's pretty labor intensive. If you look on Etsy, or here very simple versions of this by a company (man and wife in Vt... I forget the name), with a plain frame run some ridiculous price-- like $200 for a 14" x 12" with 6 tins... But I do have one half-way done. It could fit about 12 -15 spices on it. I can be reached at ResIpsaLoquiturCNY [followed by the @ symbol] then "yahoo" then ".com" (That's Latin for "the thing speaks for itself") After "Res" is an "I" (as in "eye"). Shoot me an email, I'll come up with a price if you're interested...

• Jeannie.mcquaid

Don't short sell yourself Tanya. Go to a few yard sales or the local thrift store and buy an ugly painting with a great sturdy frame for cheap. Go to the local big box and see if they will cut some sheet metal to fit the frame. Pick up a roll of magnet tape and order your cannisters. Put it all together. You don't have a nailer, you say? Silicone caulk the metal into the frame.

Doing these sorts of projects is more about courage to try, than it is skill.

• Carol

Jeannie, you are so right! No one started out good, they had to work at it to get to that point! You never know what you can do Kid-o until you try! I'm sure you can find those tins on Amazon if you look. You can get those chalk board labels and cut them down to fit at the Dollar Tree. Practice makes perfect and I have a feeling you can do it if you try! Just take your time, relax and enjoy making your friends a wonderful, useful gift that they will cherish forever!

• Lisa B

Very true, Jeannie and Carol. I never considered myself artistic AT ALL! That gift belonged to my grandmother and daughter. But... I have made my own spice rack that is attached to the inside of my pantry door, picture frames that I hand paint and distress, Christmas trees that light up made from veggie cans and pine cones, 4-wheeler diaper cakes..... I have truly surprised myself! And if I can do it, you can. My first diaper cake (4-wheeler, not cake-looking) was not the best looking, but now I get asked to make them quite often. And I'm super proud of how cute they are! It is so much easier with several under my belt, and everyone appreciates the fact that they are made with the heart.

I understand your reservations, Tanya, with him being all professional chef and such, but they would appreciate it more and it would have more meaning to it if it came from your hands, imperfections and all!!! Good luck and GO FOR IT!!!

• Tbo33778396

Is it difficult to do? Was that your first attempt? I don't know if I'd be able to make it look that good... and I don't have El Esposo to help me!

• Tbo33778396

True, but my worry is that trying something for the first the first time is a little.... "iffy"... I've done it on some things, and the first two or three trys are... um, dumpster worthy. I'm pretty artistic, but this project has a building aspect to it.... and ive tried cutting sheet metal. It mangled. Hmmm

• Lesley Owens

Hi Carol: If you look closely at what I wrote, I list the company that I bought them from. I found the least expensive company that sold *food safe* tins. It's called Specialty Bottle Co., and they will send you, FREE of CHARGE, two examples of their tins. They come out to about 77 a piece, and are well worth it. Over a year later, and with a lot of use/abuse, the tins I bought are still air-tight and holding up perfectly.

• Lesley Owens

Hi Tbo: You say you tried cutting the metal and it mangled? My guess is you didn't use a sheet break first to "score" the metal... Or do what El Esposo did, and score it with a razor knife and a metal ruler until you can get it to just "pop" right off with a clean line... Practice a bit more. I think you'll get it. ut, with that said, I do have one that's almost ready and I can paint to match any decor... Let me know if you'd like one.

• Margherita McCallum

Do these tins come with holes in them to sprinkle the spice out? I don't want to open the tin to get it out.

• Lesley Owens

Hi Margherita,

No, they do not have "sprinkle holes." If you look through the photos, note that they are squared, food safe tins. They do have to be opened to get at the spice.

With that said, however, I think it would be a GREAT idea to find an inspired way to magnetize those small containers that DO have the holes in them. Why not, right? Look through the photos I posted, note the magnetized strip used, and try it out with your own. And do share photos when you've created it!

Best,

Lesley

• Paula Wheeler

i have always wanted to do this but 77cents a piece iz expensive to me . am thinking of doing it with plastic you can get a 3or4 pk for $1 @dollar tree. let you know how it turns out

• Lesley Owens

Dear Paula-- Please do post a picture when you complete it! Last year another woman used an old cupboard face and made an AMAZING version that she hung on the wall, next to the cupboards--It looked like she'd had it custom made to go in her kitchen! ~Lesley

• Bree

I found this article last year, I know it's a little dated and it took me forever to get around to it, but I finally implemented this idea in my kitchen! I wanted to share to contribute back to the author. For mine, I couldn't find a frame that I really wanted in my kitchen, so I ended up building a fast box frame out of 1x2's and built the galvanized sheet directly into it by sandwiching it between the box frame and the plywood backing. Stained it with oxidizing solution and it came out as you can see in the picture! I absolutely love it. It's so easy, no fighting the cabinet to find the spice I'm using, and I can get inspired to change or kick up a recipe right there in front of me while I'm preparing. Thank you SO MUCH for this positively wonderful idea.

• Lesley Owens

Oh my GOSH Bree!

Your "take" on my spice rack is absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this! I love the fact that it's inspired your recipies, and I've found similar happiness with mine.

You're very welcome for the idea. I'll share your post with El Esposo. I know he'll get a kick out of it!

~Lesley