Kelley MacKay
Kelley MacKay
  • Anna, TX

Recreated Missing Keyhole Cover With Molding Clay

$1.50

i was redoing my moms grandmothers chest of drawers. It was missing a keyhole cover and I could not find anything close. So I decided to try my hand at creating one with sculpey molding clay. Very pleased with the results!

how to duplicate decorative pieces for furniture

before

painted

bought 2 oz pkg at Michaels used 50% off coupon ($1.50!)

rolled putty in a ball and I pressed it into back of my original keyhole cover creating a "mold". Use some type of powder in hardware piece (to keep from sticking) and I put a little on my working clay. i removed putty from my original keyhole, and baked according to instructions.

Once I had my mold (pic on left)...I took more putty, pressed into the "mold" (remember to use baby powder or some type of powder)...I delicately removed putty impression from the mold. I used a tool to clean up edges (it helped for me to put original hardware over clay that I popped out of mold). Once I was happy with detail clean up I baked this piece (same time). Picture below show the replica on top and the original on the bottom..

spray painted. Once it's all dry I will attach to my chest of drawers!

• Sculpey III clay  (Michaels)
  • Rustoleum Spray paint  (Home Depot)

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/updaterejuvenate/

• Lynne

WOW Kelly!!! That is beautiful - not only the keyhole covers - but the whole thing. I'm in awe. Just one question did the backboard on the top come with the original - or did you find that elsewhere?
    • Sylvia Candler

Awesome job on the keyhole cover! It's hard to tell the difference between the two.
  • Gina

Did you bake the mold before using it?
    • Debra

It said she baked according to instructions
  • Chenee Roheim

Wonder if this would work in creating a missing antique buffet handle?
    • Kelley MacKay

I know people have done handles- but not sure how the durability would be if actually pulling on it.