Andrew Bounader
Andrew Bounader
  • Tutorial Team
  • Australia

Cubby House for Under $30

$30
4 Weeks

Here's a Cubby House built for under $30, it took 3 weekends and used a lot of scrap building materials and pallets from the local truck dealership - large engine pallets for the base and wall cladding. Old paint from the local paint shop being out of date and being thrown out about $20 cost and dumpster diving on new building sites (with the builder's permission) for scrap roofing and wall frame timber.
The cubby's dimensions are:- 9 feet long (2700mm), almost 6 feet wide (1830mm), 5 feet (1520mm) clearance from the deck to the underside of the verandah roof.
The door is 4 feet 6" high (1372mm) x 16 inches wide (406mm). The top of the gable roof is around 9 feet high (2700mm) and 3 windows are 28" (711mm) high x 18" (457mm) wide, 2 open as awning windows = hinged at the top and 1 opens at the side.
it has an inside clearance height of 6 feet (1830mm) at the walls and almost 9 feet (2700mm) in the middle of the room.

The platform was 2 long engine pallets, walls were 3 shorter pallets cut down to leave room for a porch, Four 4"x2" (100mmx50mm) posts formed the wall and roof supports. Flooring was scrap plywood, painted with ceiling paint for protection.

Wall cladding installed - old plywood veneer painted with ceiling paint as a sealer prior to final painting. Windows were custom made from pallet boards and glazed with old perspex from the local sign-writers scrap bin ($5). Window hinges $2 from a yard sale.

See it's easy anyone can do it.

Almost finished!

cubby house for under 30
All the pallets laid out and fixed together, 2 longer ones on the bottom forming the base and others cut down to form the sides.
Checking pallets and fixing framing
Checking pallets and fixing framing

Truck Engine pallets form the base and lower wall frames

cubby house for under 30
Wall frame 4x2 posts in place supporting home made roof truss - made from pallet sides, cut at 45 degrees and covered with recycled roofing from job sites. Zinc covered 'Minirib' pattern, sheets are approximately 5feet long (1530mm). Truss made in back yard by nailing a square of left over roof flashing to make up nailing plate. Back wall is a sheet of old steel sheeting - ideal for magnet toys and chalk drawings once partially painted with blackboard paint.
cubby house for under 30
More Roof Truss detail
cubby house for under 30
Guesstimated window sizes and door openings to allow for 'Home Owner' to grow into the new building
Site Manager checking progress
Site Manager checking progress

Plywood wall lining, windows framed, perspex (plexiglass) fitted front porch flooring going down

Getting serious
Getting serious

Everyone can get involved, waterbased paints make it safer for everyone to paint

$30 well spent
$30 well spent

Ready for a princess fairy party
cubby house for under 30
Picking out the curtain materials

To see more: http://www.buildingandpestinspectionsalburywodonga.com.au

• Pamela Mitschke

How tall is it? Looks big enough for a ladies lair or my jewelry studio!
    • Andrew Bounader

Hi Pamela,
      I really just guesstimated the height, but it's almost 7' (2.1m) from the top of the finished flooring to the underside of the roof apex, the walls are about 5' (1.53m) tall, so not high enough for an adult. It wouldn't pass any building regulations as there isn't enough clearance to the wall and ceiling junction, but a modification of the idea could possibly comply. The simple truss design could be adapted and made into something more substantial and utilising recycled materials is a way to get an inexpensive structure built. A planning permit may be needed in your area too so check with council first.
  • Lizzie

Can succulents be trim

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Belatamara,

That's a great question it really depends on which succulent variety you have. Some can be divided as they sprout a 'pup' from the centre of the plant. Others can have a stem or leaf removed and have that planted. Others can have the top cut off and be planted or just trimmed. Try and findout which type you have a good nurseryman will help especially if you have a photo to show them.

Good luck.

Andrew

• Michelle Kirk

I really like this little house. I also love to use reclaimed lumber or scrap wood. Did you have your dimensions before you started or did you figured it out as you went along? I would like to have your plans if you have any. ( just board measurements) I have never built anything but I really want to try.

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Michelle,

I started with a pile of wood and some metal roofing pieces. I then visited my local Kenworth Truck place who had some long engine pallets the same size and a few shorter ones. I looked at them and decided they would be about the right size for the job and filled the back of my ute (pick up truck) witb what ever I could squeeze in. They were happy to see them go as they didn't have to pay dumping fees and I had free timber and base boards etc.. the pallets worked out to be the right size for our yard and the materials I had to hand. I'll see if I can sketch up a bit of a drawing for you.

Thanks

Andrew

• Heje

I love the little cottage that is perfect for a young lady.

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Heje,

She played in it a lot with her friends and cousins, it's decked out to serve many different functions, from a fastfood restaurant to office and mechanics workshop...plus house.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Take care

Andrew

• Cheryl

I love this little house we have six granddaughters that would absolutely love to play in this. :) thanks for the idea!!!!

• Andrew Bounader

Hi Cheryl,

It was a lot easier to do than I thought it would be, the key is to get a rough idea on sizes and lay the platform out on the ground then stand the timber posts up and fill in the blanks, put a roof on it and ad a door... all done.

Use whatever comes to hand...

Good Luck.

Thank you for the comments, I really appreciate it.

Andrew