Refurbished Headboard

I have been dying to do a headboard project and begging my husband weekly to help me. He found this headboard in the trash and we turned it into a treasure.
Originally it had tall posts and a curve.  My husband decided he wanted to cut the posts and curve off so it would fit flush against the wall.
He measured, marked and cut off the top.
I wanted to paint the headboard to save time but he decided to sand it down to stain.  It is not often I listen to him but boy am I glad I did. 
I wanted a darker stain so we choose Minwax in Dark Walnut.  Here is what it looks like after the 1st coat.
2nd coat
I picked up fabric, batting and nail heads on sale.  I ordered a twin xl mattress topper online instead of buying foam since it was cheaper.  We started by putting spray adhesive on the topper and frame and pressing into place.  After a few minutes letting it dry, we tucked the fabric underneath the bottom part so it would be seamless.  We then folded it over and started stapling.
We started working on way up the sides tucking and stapling as we went.  It got tricky when we got the top corners and we had to redo a few times but eventually figured it out.
Now comes the tough part, the nail heads.  Let me just say those little buggers are not easy.  I originally bought bigger nail heads with a dented look but decided they were way to big. I started scouring the internet at eight o’clock at night to try and figure out where in my small town would nail heads be.  I lucked out because my local hardware store has a few kinds so I headed down the road.  I think I bought almost the entire stock of the copper colored nail heads.  My husband was a pro at putting them into place, me not so much.
Here is a close up of the nail heads.
Finished product!!!

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Casey Jacobs

• Darlene Wright

No question, one comment. That is so pretty, not to girly, well done.!
  • Julie

I'm worried about the nail heads too! And as a single gal, with no hubby to rely on, can you share how you put in the nail heads without damaging them?
    • Beth

Hey everyone, you can purchase nail head trim that comes on a thin cardboard strip! This keeps them perfectly straight. You will probably have to go online if you don't live in a major city with a large upholstery shop. After you nail them all in most of the way, just tear off the cardboard and go back and give them one more whack. And yes, a rubber mallet is best. They do make a special hammer -- called a --wait for it -- "tack hammer!" also.

• Denise

How did you finish the back off?

D. Jacobs

• Casey Jacobs

We didn’t do anything to the back since we bolted it to the wall. It would have been easy to stain and wrap the back we were just being lazy :)