Asked on Apr 3, 2017

Glass wall as a focal point - help!

DonnaTea21287307Karen Wilcox


I have a long and narrow room with a water view at the far end from the door.(open floor plan) There is one big set of sliders 9'x9'. I do not like a bare window, but I do not want to take away the view. What do you suggest?
7 answers
  • I would install a double rod curtain rod. Choose curtains to coordinate with your decor, and then have sheers underneath. Now you can have filtered light with the sheers and total coverage for privacy or at night. Or pull both sets back and let the sun shine in! Install some tie back holders and get creative with accessories. I did this in every room in my house except the kitchen.

    Another option would be to just add a valance to the top only.

    How about roman shades? Or plantation style shutters? What will go best with the style of your house?

    Hope this gets your creative juices flowing.
  • Hillela G.
    Hillela G.
    on Apr 3, 2017

    I agree with Naomie, you can install even a sheer curtain to make it less bare but not obstruct your view! Have fun with it!
  • Kasey Coff
    Kasey Coff
    on Apr 5, 2017

    We had a similar situation, and stumbled across a solution that was inexpensive and worked a treat for us. We found curtain rails that enabled us to hang panels of fabric:

    They don't have to be from Ikea; I imagine there are other home-decor stores that carry them.

    We actually attached our rail to the ceiling. I found discontinued drapery fabric and a friend cut the sections (we used four) to length, then attached the panel curtain holders for us. All we had to do was slip them into place.

    The weighted holders keep the panels straight and taut, so they look like screens rather than fabric. When we want them out of the way, we slide all the panels to one side of the glass wall. There is a small section of wall at that end, so very little of the window is obscured.

    When we want to close them, we simply slide them across - they move like a train, so you have a pull-rod on the first panel, slide it, and the others slide along behind.

    Easy and inexpensive to change the panels, and if you want room-darkening or thermal-style, simply get that type of fabric.
  • Leon
    on Apr 22, 2017

    Find a design you like and buy some spray on glass frost easy to do and if you get tired of the design just scrape it off and try another. Just be careful when cleaning the glass
  • Karen Wilcox
    Karen Wilcox
    on Apr 22, 2017

    Just get some of that film to place on the widows. It causes the outside to look like a mirror and people can't see in, but you have full view from
    the inside. Then you can use whatever kind of window treatment you like. I think it is quite inexpensive, but not sure where to get it. Google one way mirror film??
  • Tea21287307
    on Apr 23, 2017

    greatest invention on the planet is the film that allows you to see out but not see him. I would definitely look for that and find it on sale because sometimes it can run more on the expensive side
  • Donna
    on Apr 25, 2017

    stain glass treatment.
Your comment...