Pallet Garden

$50

Today was one of the first truly spring like days in NYC so I decided to do some planting. A pallet makes for a great huge planter for those who (like me) don't have a yard where they can do lots of planting. It is also great for those who are looking for a vertical garden. Add some landscape fabric to a pallet, pour in some dirt and get to planting! This pallet garden will spruce up any drab space!

SUPPLIES:
-Pallet
-2 Large Bags of Potting Mix
-Landscape Fabric
-Variety of Flowers / Plants
-Staple Gun & Staples

STEP 1: Flip your pallet onto one side so it lies flat with the slats that sit closer together facing up. Unroll enough landscape fabric to cover the entire side.

STEP 2: Cut the excess fabric away.

STEP 3: Staple the fabric down to the pallet working your way across each beam.

STEP 4: Continue stapling until there are staples around the entire border as well as across each beam.

STEP 5: Wrap the excess fabric around the edge and staple it in place.

STEP 6: Because the ends of a pallet are open you will need to wrap the fabric around the openings and staple it in place. I decided I wanted some flowers standing upright so I only did this to one side so that I could plant some flowers through the top opening once I stood my pallet up.

STEP 7: Turn your pallet over so the uncovered side is facing up.

STEP 8: Pour an entire bag of potting mix in between the slats of the pallet making sure it is level throughout.

STEP 9: Now it's time to start planting. Make little ditches for each plant and set them within the ditch and scoop dirt in to cover the roots.

STEP 10: Once you have planted all your flowers fill in any empty spaces around the roots with more dirt packing them into place.

STEP 11: Now reposition your planter so it rest vertically (if you so choose)

Look at all those beauties! I wish there were more perennial flowers so I could enjoy watching them re-bloom each year, but for now I will certainly take them in on the daily!

Be sure to water the plants immediately so as to help pack in the dirt.

This thing has given this wall so much life!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home

• Sigrid
    Sigrid

Are you able to plant herbs instead of flowers?
    I just wonder if it would be safe.
  • Marie Ryan
    Marie Ryan

Don't you loose soil every time you water the plants?
    • Dot D Collett
      Dot D Collett

I like using coconut coir around my plants as both a mulch and to hold the soil. It does not decompose for year + and can be used the following year.
    • Melanie Roby
      Melanie Roby

Hi! Great Idea!
      I was born and raised in Brooklyn! What is the going rate for a 2 bedroom, I'm thinking about moving back
  • B J
    B J

How do you keep the soil and flowers in place when you stand the pallet up ?
    • Dot D Collett
      Dot D Collett

• Dottiewilkie
      Dottiewilkie

After setting flat for 10 days, the plants have taken root and will hold themselves in!
  • Carol Ann
    Carol Ann

Can this be done with vegetables, then laid flat across the top of cinder blocks on the ends?
    • Casey
      Casey

My daughter did this with vegetables for the past two years. She simply left her "garden" on the sidewalk that leads to her basement steps. It works very well!!
    • Pam Grossman
      Pam Grossman

Just remember to use a pallet that has not been treated with toxic chemicals. Use a HT (heat treated) one for veggies! 🙂
  • Jan Long
    Jan Long

How many litres of potting mix in each bag please?
    • Pam Grossman
      Pam Grossman

It looks like this may be the 40lb bag which would be 8 quarts...7.6 liters Or so. cant be sure but that's what I see by looking up that size bag.
  • Doreen Aery
    Doreen Aery

Thank you for this idea! I love it! I have some questions though. Wouldn't you need to treat the wood since you will be watering it and it will be out in the weather elements? Also, will one be able to paint it after treating to give the pallet itself some color? Thanks.
    • Pam Grossman
      Pam Grossman

Pallets are already treated. You can look at the code in your pallet and google it. Most in US say HT which means it's heat treated. I would avoid any that are chemically treated if you use for veggies or herbs however as they can be toxic.
  • Markeen
    Markeen

Love the idea.... but... what keeps the soil from washing out or down as it rains?
    • Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

If you pack it in well it seems to stay. I water mine with a spray bottle versus just pouring water in which helps as well. Rain also helps keep it packed in rather than washing it away. This is what has worked for me. Hope this helps!
    • Markeen
      Markeen

Thank you.
  • Darlene Hlavsa Wessel
    Darlene Hlavsa Wessel

What does keep the soil from washing out??
    • Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

If you pack it in well it seems to stay. I water mine with a spray bottle versus just pouring water in which helps as well. Rain also helps keep it packed in.
  • Wolf
    Wolf

If I may be so bold as to ask, what is preventing the soil from dropping to the bottom of the pallet? There is nothing fastened to the bottom of the pallet board to keep the soil in place. As soon as the soil gets wet gravity is going to make it drop.
    • Atwatrus
      Atwatrus

isn't the garden fabric stapled to the bottom also?
    • Joy Lewis
      Joy Lewis

Maybe put a "bottom" on each level so it does not deop through all the way to the bottom
    • Wolf
      Wolf

That's the right answer. Nail, or screw, a bottom onto each level. That way the soil that is in the top level won't be sitting in the bottom level after a good rain.
    • Qmn21630878
      Qmn21630878

I would like to see pallet cut in half vertically. And use one half for the needed row bottoms and sides. Mini size would be nice for smaller places.
  • Suzy3a
    Suzy3a

Could you leave the pallet lying down? It looks like it would eliminate a lot of weeding and I can see them along my back fence.
  • Don22264392
    Don22264392

What happens when it rains and the dirt falls ?
    • Dianne Na
      Dianne Na

Beautiful project, love the idea.
      To fine tune it.....Yes, the dirt will settle downward with weight and gravity. The ideas of nailing wood at each section to give each level a base, plus the bottom edge, is what I was thinking also.
    • Don22264392
      Don22264392

Smart girl ..D
    • Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

The rain actually helps to pack in the dirt. To water it yourself you can either lay it down or use a spray bottle with the setting set to stream and then do a fine mist over it. This is what I have found to work well. Hope that helps!
    • Zavadskaya
      Zavadskaya

Tried this a couple of years ago. After the dirt got wet - it started sliding down (plants as well). To make it work correctly - need some support for each opening.
    • Marnidarr
      Marnidarr

What if you pushed fabric thru the slats as you stapled it across "the bottom?" When you flip the pallet back over, you could pull the fabric thru and staple it so it becomes a fabric shelf of sorts. Does that make any sense at all? Lol! I was trying to use what was available so as to not add to the budget...😁
    • Solinda L.
      Solinda L.

So I actually attempted this the other day. My pallet is smaller and the back had bigger gaps so I just modified it and created a bottom for each shelf with the landscape fabric. I also did that bc I was afraid of the soil sliding out. It's a little more work, but it also uses less soil since you don't have to fill up the entire palet (just each self).
    • Susan Ricotta
      Susan Ricotta

Just keep the plants in there original pots for support maybe that night work
  • Yinizay Tanco
    Yinizay Tanco

Love the idea, very creative and beautiful!
    • Suzy
      Suzy

You can also paint the pallet green and write welcome or your last name. Or Welcome to whatever you last name is. Very pretty.

• Colimbia1
    Colimbia1

Great idea. I see you used pansies. Since I am getting a late start and thus soon will be too hot (having our first 90+ degree days here in MD) for pansies, what small flower(s) could I use that wouldn't out grow the space? Thanks and am happy for another use for pallets since my husband can easily get them where he works.

• Jody
      Jody

How about the small sized marigolds? They come in yellow and orange.
  • Paula Clement
    Paula Clement

Can I plant vegetables
    • Shirley Moffit
      Shirley Moffit

Yes
    • Jerri M
      Jerri M

I would be careful what kind of pallet you use for vegetables/edibles tho or even indoor furniture use. Some are treated w/ chemicals to prevent insects. I would google which pallets are safe to use, but I believe if they have a stamp w/ a 'HT', which means heat-treated, they should be ok, but please research more.

• Gladys
    Gladys

Can you do veggies like this also?

• Gladys
    Gladys

Can you do veggies like this also?

• Rosemary Richards
      Rosemary Richards

I wouldn't some pallets are treated and the chemicals could leach into the plant and your food

• Gladys
    Gladys

Can you do veggies like this also?

• Dee Leeman
      Dee Leeman

If you lay it flat you can do veggies like lettuce spinage radishes chives small plants yoi lnow not good for tomates its not deep enough

• Rosemary Richards
      Rosemary Richards

Uunless you are sure your pallet is untreated I wouldn't advise doing anything edible

• Donna DeRose
    Donna DeRose

How am I watering them? From the top, front?

• Beccie Therrien
      Beccie Therrien

Lay it flat and water...

Lift it back up when it drains...

Or, stick the hose nozzle right in the dirt, between the plants...

Or else I would use a spray bottle...

A heavy duty one.

• Ter2289727
    Ter2289727

How do you keep the potting soul from all falling to the bottom when you stand it up?

• Ter2289727
    Ter2289727

• Pau13880697
    Pau13880697

why would you use miriicle grow products their horrible??? why not use a better soil?

• Pau13880697
    Pau13880697

• Pau13880697
    Pau13880697

• Kar746279
    Kar746279

What happens when u stand the pallet up doesn't the dirt fall downwards

• Kar746279
    Kar746279

• Kar746279
    Kar746279

• Amy Farmer
    Amy Farmer

What about strawberries? Do you think they would do well?

• Janer kidder
      Janer kidder

As strawberries can be grown in pots and do well, I would think would work in this.
    • Hillarie Allison
      Hillarie Allison

I've created a vegetable garden several years in a row with great success! I did not hang mine but used it horizontally by removing several of the palate centerboards to separate each variety

, The first separation is strawberries and then there are cucumbers carrots squash Tomatoes watermelon and cantaloupe The marigolds keep the bugs away
  • Ponice Woodson
    Ponice Woodson

Could this project be done with the pallet laying flat... Say if you wanted to add just a small flower garden somewhere stategicly in your yard?

Maybe stack two? Or, line several up on the ground and plant a flower bed within the cavity?

I'm thinking it would help eliminate weeding and allow for an easy to take care out flower garden!!!!!😍🤞🌹🌷🏵🌻🌺⚘🌼🌸💐🌞

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Yes, the pallet could lay flat. Be sure to staple the landscape fabric on the sides to hold the dirt in.

If you want to have a raised garden, find a study table, a bale is hay, or a backless bench. Balance the fabric wrapped pallet on your structure, then pour in the potting mix. Voilà, a raised garden! ☺️

• Ponice Woodson
    Ponice Woodson

• Ponice Woodson
    Ponice Woodson

• Jennifer Shoemaker Ivey
      Jennifer Shoemaker Ivey

You can do that. I have done it in the past. The only issue for me was how low to the ground it was. But, you could stack them so they are raised above the ground more of you prefer.

• Carrie Lynn Helton-Blair
    Carrie Lynn Helton-Blair

How do you keep the dirt from running out when you water it standing up. I would think it would be better to double the weed block material and put it up on blocks so as to drain and keep the chance of over watering to a minimum. I feel for me that would work best. But this is a great idea. Thank you

• Chris Gill Shumaker
    Chris Gill Shumaker

Can u plant tomato plantd

• Pat Hodnett
    Pat Hodnett

What does it take th get started

• Pat Hodnett
    Pat Hodnett

What does it take th get started

• Pat Hodnett
    Pat Hodnett

What does it take th get started

• Pat Hodnett
    Pat Hodnett

What does it take th get started

• Becky
      Becky

?? The article tells you everything you need.

• Nadine
      Nadine

Look for free pallets (check Craigslist, any local classifieds, local warehouses, home improvement stores, shipping companies and any place that is likely to receive large shipments. Also many cities have free or reuse warehouses).

• Jamie Goodwin Craig
    Jamie Goodwin Craig

Why do the plants look as though they're dying? Is this bad for the plants?

• RJ Baetig
      RJ Baetig

I was thinking the same thing. I've done a palette garden with my partner before. We cut up another palette and put under so the plants wouldn't fall down. I think if your doing this u should out the flowers or seeds/veggies once palette is standing!

• Mkl
      Mkl

I think it is because the plants were planted with the pallet lying down. When the pallet was put in the vertical position they drooped (gravity ya know) . I believe that after a couple weeks of adjustment they are more upright,

• Peggy Hahn Blake-Kindron
      Peggy Hahn Blake-Kindron

I agree with Mkl - they look stressed from being freshly planted. I don't think they have been in the soil for long. They will be fine and reach for the sun. They don't care which way they are, as long as they have soil for their roots!

• Quiltin Mammar
      Quiltin Mammar

All plants suffer a certain amount of root shock when transplanting them and this is all that is. Once watered in well and give a few days to settle in they will be upright and happy once more

• Pai26693064
    Pai26693064

When you stand it up, what prevents the potting soil from all falling down to the bottom level? It seems like it would just all go to the bottom .

• Gigi Weber Hansen
      Gigi Weber Hansen

I was wondering the same thing.

• Tin20441332
      Tin20441332

You staple the black cover all the way across all the slats so it cant fall out.

• Mary Buese Schlag
      Mary Buese Schlag

It would definitely still fall ou the front. The only way to really make this work is to make long pouches across the length of the boarsd. It woyld be a bit of a pain, but doable.

• Mrt28274202
      Mrt28274202

Was wondering same. I think if you let the plants take root - maybe a week of growth then the soil wouldn't fall out the front when you stand it up. It would take a couple days for the plants to reorient their growth upward before it would look quite right I think.

• Jeannie.mcquaid
      Jeannie.mcquaid

Even if you allow the plants to establish themselves before raising it to vertical, everytime you have a good rain or water it, the dirt will inevitably wash down and out the front I would think.

• Jen
      Jen

maybe staple in some mesh or window screen at each level on the inside of course to hold each level of plants and soil in, if using in upright position?

• Terri G.
      Terri G.

We did two weeks and it was fine

• Penny
      Penny

meeee too

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

I planted a 'flower tower' that is vertical just like this. I planted mine while upright using a stick to tamp down the soil to the bottom. I periodically watered the soil to tamp down more. Worked perfectly!

• Alex Lynch
      Alex Lynch

We’ve made this for succulents and the soil doesn’t fall out. Works great, looks good.

• Peggy Sanders
      Peggy Sanders

Beautiful idea

• Le
      Le

We are all guessing. It would be nice if " Amanda C, Hometalk Team" would tell us. Thx

• B'Ann DeLaurier
    B'Ann DeLaurier

How does the soil stay in place when a pallet is in vertical position?

I can see that the root mass could hold when plants mature. But, what about a newly planted pallet?

• Stephanie Feller
    Stephanie Feller

When you stand it on end doesn't all of the soil fall to the bottom?

• Caroline
    Caroline

How do ya keep the soil in place from falling to the bottom

• Donna
    Donna

Wht didn't you paint it?

• Barbara
      Barbara

I was wondering the same thing. Seems to me it would show much better

• Beth Lipson Morrill
    Beth Lipson Morrill

Do you think this would work with herbs ? I would think an herb garden would be great to do this way.

• Kim
      Kim

I would be cautious with anything edible unless you are sure that it has not been treated with chemicals that could leach into the soil and be absorbed by the plants.

• Jodi
      Jodi

Yes. It sure will. I've planted herbs in pallets for many years.

• Bob
      Bob

Yes extremely wellhabe used two for several years for smaller containers. I use the bottoms of two liter jugs and the square juice bottles. Reuse and recycle

• Kim
    Kim

I think all newer pallets are heat treated not chemical. Paint could be dangerous depending on the type. In all these pics it looks to be up against a homes exterior wall and the moisture retains in the soil could be damaging to the wood or siding. And did the pallet need to lay flat for a few days to get the potting mix to settle? Or are they at an angle?

• LeighAnn Mitchell Lenke
    LeighAnn Mitchell Lenke

Such an attractive planter!

Seems like once it is propped up, all the soil would follow the laws of gravity. How do you prevent everything from settling down down down without making shelves of each level earlier in the project?

• Marcia
      Marcia

My guess is that you pack the dirt in really tightly. You might consider adding more along with a layer of mulch after its upright to places that shift or droop.

Note! If you want to do this with edible plants, be sure to research the different wood ratings/codes of pallet wood. They use different types and some are treated with toxic chemicals. All pallets should be stamped with this info☺️

• Michelle Helmeczy
      Michelle Helmeczy

Since this is outside, I'd think this would be SO messy with the dirt draining, from rain and such. I think it's sweet, but for me, IMO, I would keep it flat and use it as a raised bed instead. But great idea. thanks.

• Deborah
    Deborah

How can I share this project with my sister that lives in South Carolina

• Trudy Cuffe
    Trudy Cuffe

Can you keep it flat and plant veggies like squash. Vine string bean. And tomatoes plants and just make sure when they sprout they are directed through the openings