DIY Beginner Builder Dining Room Table: Free Plans!

I built this table last summer using framing lumber for under $100!

I started by making my cuts for the table top pieces out of my 2x10s. I used my new table saw to make all of the cuts for the 2x10s. I sanded all the planks separately before attaching them together using 1 1/2″ pocket holes and 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws. My  Kreg Jig was integral to building this table. It's very important to get good pocket holes for this final look. I currently have the R3, but am hoping to upgrade to the K4 soon. Look at all those pocket holes!

I beveled the long sides of the table using my table saw for something to do. I was trying to replicate live-edge wood, which it doesn’t at all, but I did end up loving the end result anyway so score?

Next I made the legs. I used 2x4s glued together to cut back on costs, but you could use 4x4s instead if that’s your preference.

I let the legs dry over night, and then assembled the base using pocket holes and wood glue.

I finished the top and base separately and waited to attach them together until after moving both pieces inside. For the finish, I used one coat of Minwax Provincial stain. Staining furniture is an easy way to transform it. I wiped it off with a rag almost immediately after application so it wouldn’t turn out too dark or saturated.

I love all the variations in the wood! Provincial was a good choice because I wanted something that was darker than my floors, but not so dark that it would have no depth. Once I applied the first coat of poly, it warmed up the wood slightly but didn’t change the color too drastically. I gave the top seven coats of poly (sanding in between each) but only three on the base, since it won’t see as much wear and tear and I am LAZY.

I moved both pieces inside, secured the top to the base using 2 1/2″ pocket hole screws and stood back to admire my handiwork.

If you want to build this table yourself, check out my free plans  here! The wood cost around $75 in total and I had all the other supplies for finishing on hand. This is a basic build that (in my humble, unbiased opinion) looks like an expensive piece of furniture and is solid as hell. Framing lumber is a wonderful thing, my friends. Happy building!

Allison Young

• Nolan Berry

How do you keep your table from rocking or wobbling once you attach the top? It seems like I always wind up with a slight twist in the wood and cannot get it to sit right on the base. Any ideas?
    • John Biermacher

Allison’s table has cross bracing which is a terrific thing from both a design and engineering point of view. Cross bracing, stretchers, and/or lower shelves will do a lot to stiffen up a table. For that reason I quite often choose to make trestle tables vs tables with legs.

Please see see my comment to Allison (below).

• Diane Schule

Beautiful table, beautiful job! And, what is that stunning charcoal-like color on that one wall?
    • Allison Young

Hi Diane! It's by Beauti-tone (Home Hardware in Canada) and it's called Tricorn Black. I watered it down to 1 parts water 2 parts paint and then "black washed" plywood planks for a kind of knock off ship lap. I did two coats. It is a beautiful color just as is though as well; I have it painted on another wall.
  • Julia Hochhalter

No Question, just wanted to agree that this table is definitelyy megazine worthy! Beautiful outcome! Thank you for sharing!
    • Barbara Babs

Absolutely agree 💯 . This is the table I have always wanted. Beautifully made and obviously with love ♥️. Thanks for your sharing of your plans❣️

• Grace

Beautiful table. The chairs not so much!

• Linda

Absolutely beautiful and I just can't believe how inexpensive it cost when you DIY!!!!