Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Salvage Solar Lights

$50
3

While decluttering my project space, I decided it was time to put these various pieces of salvage and scrap pieces to work.
salvage solar lights
With jack stands, reinforcing rod, various drilled wood pieces and Rustoleum spray paint, I decided that solar light stands wouldbe perfect.
salvage solar lights
Off to Lowe's to buy the solar lights to complete the materials that I would need. I always opt for 8x lumens as they shine brighter and longer. Next, I spray painted every piece except the solar lights with black spray paint followed by several coats of clear coat to protect them from the weather.
salvage solar lights
Then I placed the reinforcing rod through the jack stand, tightened in place with a nut & bolt and threaded the various wood pieces until I found the design that I liked best. Decided they needed a little "oomph" so added a touch of Gilder's Paste Wax to the edges.
salvage solar lights
Cut the solar light tubes in half to give them the right height and then positioned and glued them on reinforcing rod.
salvage solar lights
Charged solar light pieces and they're ready for my patio.

• Jack stands  (salvage pieces)
  • Drilled wooden pieces  (scrap project wood)
  • Reinforcing rod, nuts & bolts  (Lowe's)

• Lorraine

I was wondering where do u buy jack stands and how much do they cost?
    • Dawn Smith Dwyer

I was fortunate and scored 4 free. They were left at the end of a yard sale with a free sign on them!
  • Anneliese Clear

I have had solar path lights in my garden, and they lose their brightness over time. I think mine lasted about two years before they stopped lighting up at all. If you glue the solar light base to the rod, how do you go about switching out the lighting element when it goes bad without destroying the whole thing?
    • Maggie Lais

Exactly, Sheri Escott-Spyker! You just need to take the lighted section off the tube, and using a smallish phillips-head screwdriver, you remove the bottom piece - usually a round piece of flat plastic. Then replace the batteries with rechargeables (rechargeables seem like they should work, if sunny enough, but I am not sure about that since I have not tried it myself) or regular alkaline batteries. Screw the round plastic plate back on, and there you go! They will work just like the original batteries!

• Val Schierman

Can you please explain better how you attach the reinforcing rod to the nut and bolt?
    • Teri.jeffrey

The rod & nuts are threaded. I inserted the reinforcing rod through the jack stand and then tightened the rod to desired height by placing bolts & then screwing nut on top & bottom of jack stand. Hope this helps.

• Dee

Very nice!

• Shelly Moore

Paint the solar panels only with clear nail polish. Here our water has minerals that makes everything cloudy with buildup. I also just replace the batteries when needed. Easy ☺