Jessica Hoffman
Jessica Hoffman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Boynton Beach, FL

Dog Bed, Pallets and Scrap Wood!

I have seen lots of beautiful pet beds, made using pallets. I absolutely love them and wanted one of my own for my furry kiddos- the challenge... I couldn't find any with steps- we needed steps! My two miniature dachshunds had to be able to climb up (I loved the castors, as I wanted to be able to move it around and let's face it, pallets are heavy!) and the Castor's made it too high for them. With zero experience, I took the plunge! I figured.. "how hard can it be??" Well... within a couple of hours, it started coming together and I have to say, it's perfect!! They literally wait... each morning, for me to bring their mattress outside and place it in their "thrown" and they know it's a special place, just for them!

the base-
the base-

i cut the pallet down to fit their mattress. No measuring, just eyeballed it! I filled in using scrap wood. At this point I was still figuring out step and needed Castors.

Assembled- now have to get Bentley out!
Assembled- now have to get Bentley out!

added Castors and built step, using a part of cutoff pallet and securing on underside with pallet wood. Castors were purchased at harbor freight- very cheap and super cool!! They have locks so it doesn't move and they look like skate wheels! Still not finished, but didn't stop Bentley from trying it out!

I love the colors!
I love the colors!

i really loved the look of the different colors of the wood, so I layered some more. my scrap wood came from a guy on Craigslist, selling "fire wood". 30 pound box for 5.00, included mahogany, eucalyptus, oak... all small pieces but as you can see, this worked perfectly for my (their) bed! I wish I took more step by step photos, but this was my first project... live and learn! I never thought it would look so amazing, AND truly turn out to be so functional!

Painted- fabric from walmart, safety pins!

some gel stain, paint and whatever I had in the garage, literally used safety pins to attach CHEAP fabric I found at walmart, over the mattress... I love it because when I get tired of the pattern I can take it off easily, zero sewing and I can easily throw it in the wash!

Sadie refused to sign photo release! Lol

They LOVE their new bed! It was simple and came out MUCH better than I ever imagined! The step is perfect, I can move it around on the castors and the total cost (because I had the mattress and the scraps) was approx 13.00!!!!

She agreed!
She agreed!

sadie ageeed to let me take a photo of her in the bed! She said not to get too excited. This doesn't mean she is willing to model for me regularly, but since I made this bed for her, she would be nice and pose this one time. :)
Got them both!!!
Got them both!!!
lol I couldn't resist!!

• Pallet  (Behind car dealership)
  • Scrap wood  (Box on Craigslist for 5.00)
  • Castors  (Harbor freight)
Jessica Hoffman