Water like stains on clothes from washer and Dryer

+79
Does anyone else have a problem with their washer and/or dryer living water spot looking stains on their clothes??? And if yes, how do you get them out of your clothes and stop it from happening?
q water like stains on clothes from washer and dryer, appliances, cleaning tips, home maintenance repairs, how to, Washer dryer leaving water spot like stains any ideas of what is going on
Washer/dryer leaving water spot like stains..any ideas of what is going on???
  • Carrie Carrie on Jan 04, 2014
    Never heard of water like stains- Are you sure it's not an oil type stain? I'd just give it a good pre-soak and wash again. That should work. Frustrating I'm sure.
    • See 1 previous
    • @Carrie I guess maybe I didn't us the right words. I said water like stains because I know for a fact that they are not grease and that they weren't there before washing them. Thanks though.
  • Carrie Carrie on Jan 04, 2014
    I know, I replied from experience- those mystery little spots- look like water, but are probably oil based. :(
  • Serena Serena on Jan 04, 2014
    I have had that happen to me and realized it was my fabric softener I add a little bit of water to my fabric softner and that seem to help good luck
  • Linda Linda on Jan 04, 2014
    I get the same spots and they are definitely NOT grease of any kind. I have to check my husbands shirts for food "drips" so I know they were not there when I started. It is very frustrating. I find Murphy's Oil Soap removes them but I hate having to rewash items. I would love a solution.
    • Karen Karen on Aug 13, 2019

I get water spots too. I figured it was just hard water stains. Sure is annoying!

• Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
  • Carrie Carrie on Jan 04, 2014
    Now I'm stumped! Did you use any fabric softener? If it was a really large load maybe some softener drips on parts that didn't get down into the water? Just some thoughts. P.S. Just READ you don't use fabric softener! Will follow!
  • Jacqueline S Jacqueline S on Jan 04, 2014
    Beca not sure how to get them out, but I've had this problem a lot of times before, mostly with knit fabrics, when "not" washed in cold water.
    Well not sure what causes it, but if you find a good solution, please let me know.
  • Melissa Potter Melissa Potter on Jan 05, 2014
    When I used the Bounce Dryer Bar my clothes came out with stains on them. Try Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to get them out.
  • Marla Rafuse Marla Rafuse on Jan 05, 2014
    I get this often too on my clothing and still haven't figured out the cause. This may sound weird but I rub flour into the stain and then after a minute or so I "wack "off the excess with a towel or cloth until the stain is invisible. Usually I'm able to wear the clothing item after I've done this but sometimes I may have to repeat the process and wash it. I think the flour absorbs the oil. Good luck :)
  • Cozy Home Service Cozy Home Service on Jan 05, 2014
    If the problem is in the water. Have it tested. You may need a water softenr. May only need a good filter.
  • Nancy Nancy on Jan 05, 2014
    I've found that too much fabric softener leaves white powdery spots on my dark clothes. Now I only use very little liquid fabric softener, and NO DRYER SHEETS! I ran the clothes through the wash cycle again, and the spots came out. Your spots could be caused by fabric softener or maybe it's too much laundry detergent in too large a load of laundry. Try cutting back on the detergent and run the clothes through again to see what happens. Good luck!!
  • Melissa Gutilla Melissa Gutilla on Jan 05, 2014
    i get them also! I used to think it was from the detergent but now I start the water in the washer and add the tide then mix it around- so I know that's not causing it. I also don't put fabric softener in the wash. So who knows! The always come out next wash but it's a pain! I'll keep checking your post to see what others think! Hope someone has an answer!
  • Paula Englert Paula Englert on Jan 05, 2014
    I enjoyed reading everyone's answers and suggestions. I get those spots on clothes, also, and I know they weren't there before they were washed. I don't use fabric softener either. I never heard about using Murphy's Oil Soap. I'll have to try that. Thanks.
  • Suzy Smith Suzy Smith on Jan 05, 2014
    Use Lestoil! Just put a little on the spot and rub in...then wash. Works fantastic!!!
  • Claudia Claudia on Jan 05, 2014
    any of the oil treatment things: Dawn, Murphy's Oil or Lestoil will work.
  • Linda Linda on Jan 06, 2014
    I want to thank everyone for trying to help . I don't have a problem getting them out, it's just the frustration of having to re wash. I've actually tried everything suggested believe it or not. I actually wondered if it might be caused by using cold water but don't want to use warm on the colours ( which is where it shows up the most ). I'm still hopeful that someday someone or I might figure this out. ( My laundry is in the basement and I'm waiting for back surgery so I don't redo the load, I just go without those clothes for a week which is often inconvenient)
  • Kim R Kim R on Jan 06, 2014
    Is it a front loader?...that is when mine started...I think it doesn't use enough water.
    • See 1 previous
    • Shay Shay on Apr 01, 2019

That is when it started happening to me when my Condo put in front loaders - I was secretly blaming neighbors for using softener or have greasy cloths but they to have the same issue. I have not been able to get them out with rewashing - but will try the murphy oil soap trick next

• Cheryl Cheryl on Jan 06, 2014
    Mine were caused by dryer sheets. Quit using them and it cleared up.
  • Deanna H Deanna H on Jan 06, 2014
    I had the same thing happen to my clothes. The problem was that my washing machine was dirty. detergents and softeners leave a residue in the washing machine drum and parts. To clean run a full empty load with two cups white vinegar in hot water, It worked great! Gets rid of any smell as well. Hope this works for you.
  • Charlene Kimbrell Charlene Kimbrell on Jan 06, 2014
    This is quite probably the result of using liquid fabric softener. It is a common occurrence. Make sure the washer is filled with water and not yet agitating when it it is added so it doesn't get directly on the clothes. Or best solution yet use dryer sheets.
  • Dianne Dianne on Jan 06, 2014
    Had a similar situation which turned out to be caused by a faulty felt seal on the dryer. BTW, dryer was making a squeaky sound.
  • WOW! Thanks everyone. I will try all these great ideas. I'm happy to learn that it's a very common problem.
    • Teri Teri on Jan 06, 2014
      @Beca @ Creative Dominican These aren't water marks. They are grease marks and if your clothes went into a dryer then the marks are set in and are VERY hard to get out. Maybe something is on the drum of the washer or dryer that is leaving these marks or food marks too.Sounds funny but I was professional spot cleaner for almost 30 years. i had to identify spots and remove them with chemicals.
  • Patty A Patty A on Jan 06, 2014
    would like to know which one of these many answers was the problem, Beca. I too have the spots with a fairly New machine, a water softener , and no dryer sheets.
  • Jennie Jennie on Jan 06, 2014
    When it happens to me it's because I accidentally washed some chapstick.... it melts and gets all over stuff. Not fun.
  • Nancy Hinds Nancy Hinds on Jan 06, 2014
    I have several favorite t shirts with that same spottiness...I use cold water and dryer sheets and pre-Shout them when I remember, but there are the ones that gets heat set with the dryer and back they go to pre-Shout, etc. I need to try some of these new ideas, too! My methods don't always work. Thanks!
  • Barb Barb on Jan 06, 2014
    The spots look they could be grease spots. I keep a little bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid handy to spot treat before I put things in the washer. It works better than anything else I've tried for anything greasy.
  • Mary Mary on Jan 06, 2014
    My favorite sweatshirt now has these spots on them At first I thought I had gotten grease on it, and not realized. But couldnt remember being around any. I will now run white vinegar through my washing machine, and make sure its cleaned up real good. I quit using dryer sheets, got the Bounce thing that sticks in the dryer. Im so glad I came across this!
  • Linda Linda on Jan 07, 2014
    I have tried every solution suggested except the vinegar. I know vinegar to have worked miracles in the past so that is my next step.Thanks to Deanna for this suggestion.
  • Marilyn Highley Marilyn Highley on Jan 07, 2014
    Those spots are tiny spots of grease from food that don't show up until the clothes are washed. They come from tiny flecks of food (chips, popcorn) while eating, tiny splatters while cooking (bacon, sausage), even a quick swipe with your hands and not realizing there are tiny bits of grease/fat on your hands. We are not as clean as we like to think we are. :-) One of the pretreating products used before laundering (my fave is Shout) will remove it, especially if you rub the product into the stain before re-washing.
    • Shay Shay on Apr 01, 2019

That is not true of my spots - they are cauuses somehow by the front loading washer

• M. K. Wilkie M. K. Wilkie on Jan 08, 2014
    I have had this and I believe the problem is with the Downy Ball. I use less softener now and fill the ball with water before adding it to the machine. I understand that we use way too much detergent and softener in our washing machines to begin with. It only takes a little for normally dirty loads.
  • Diane Foust Diane Foust on Jan 08, 2014
    I too have this problem so I will give the vinegar a try. I know you can use vinegar as a fabric softener so maybe I'll just make it a regular part of my laundry routine so I don't get the detergent build-up.
  • Kim Kim on Jan 09, 2014
    I have this problem with my work clothes. I don't use liquid fabric softener. and you find the spots before they go in dryer. if you have a newer he top loader you have a lint trap around the top of drum. you will need to clean it. also you need to wash the inside of washer. I use a rag with vinaigrette before I wash those clothes good luck
  • Kim Kim on Jan 09, 2014
    vingarette is suppose to be vinegar
  • Fran Fran on Jan 09, 2014
    Yes, those are grease spots from a juicy hamburger. LOL Spray with Shout and leave overnight, and spray again before washing again. Shout for me is better than Spray and Wash.