Start Seeds Like a Pro

There ARE some things that professional growers do that you can do at home to increase your chances of success growing seeds this Spring.
http://www.caleyskitchengarden.com/2013/03/tips-from-pro-for-hard-to-start-seeds.html
Pros have a specail heating pad for seeds, but you can heat them from the bottom by putting them on the dryer.
Watch closely for signs of life, them start treating them like plants instead of keeping them wet.
Cover them with vermiculite and  something to hold in the moisture like another tray.
Cover them with vermiculite and something to hold in the moisture like another tray.
Get them into as much light and sun as possible.  Winter sun is so weak, the plants need every bit plus more if possible.
Get them into as much light and sun as possible. Winter sun is so weak, the plants need every bit plus more if possible.
The larger container used, the longer they can stay in it.  I keep mine in small containers and transplant them as soon as the rootball will hold together.  A long time in containers means a lot of time to make mistakes.
The larger container used, the longer they can stay in it. I keep mine in small containers and transplant them as soon as the rootball will hold together. A long time in containers means a lot of time to make mistakes.
Here is the same basil in the garden and ready to harvest.

• Carol V.

Can you use used Kcups to plant in?

• Cd

Yes, I just saw this on another site. Be sure to transplant when the roots take over the cup.

• Anna

Or you could live on the Sunshine Coast in Australia where it is warm! Love all your contributions.

• Heidi K Davis

I have 2 portable electric heaters that has oil inside. I put a large ceramic tile on top and then put my start tray on top of that. I also have above one a metal wall shelf unit... since heat rises this gives me a nice warm spot to move the trays to once they sprouted.