Asked on Apr 5, 2017

How to keep dogs from digging under fence to visit neighbor dogs?

Emily SmithLaurieGoldrushgal
+10

We tried electrified wire near the ground but it didn't deter them!

• Goldrushgal
    Goldrushgal

We had to resort to a row of concrete blocks. We dug a shallow ditch, about 2 inches, and laid the blocks end to end along the fence. When the dogs give up you can plant succulents or vines in the openings of the blocks to hide them. They become a raised flower bed.
    • Johanna
      Johanna

You need to train the dog!

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue. Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

• Sonia Sunny Rogers
    Sonia Sunny Rogers

We dug a shallow trench below the fence and ran a line of concrete at the base of the fence. They haven't gotten out since, and the grass hides the concrete.
  • Cindy Carmichael
    Cindy Carmichael

A couple of suggestions. 1. Bury the dogs poop in the holes. Dogs tend to not dig there again. 2. Bury concrete chunks in the holes. This time of year there should be people wanting to get rid of this - check craigs list.
  • Sandra Wayson
    Sandra Wayson

Anchor chicken wire down along your fence. The grass will eventually hide it.
  • Beth August
    Beth August

Sandra gives the idea I was given. It is simple. You can put dirt over it to help hold it down. Another thing you can do is to make sure your dog's nails are clipped. If you keep them clipped short, it will be uncomfortable for them to dig because it makes the quick sore. I did this twofer and my dog never dug under the fence again.
  • Judy
    Judy

Lay a sharp wire on the bottom 2 layers of wire, and one under the fence, where it will lay on your grass. This should be your answer. Take you animal out there, and show him/her the new fence . . and scold him/her and say firmly "NO, NO, NO" and do not give in. The dog will truly understand this. They are smarter than a person gives them credit for. Best wishes.

• Debbie
      Debbie

i don't think she's going to like the size of the vet bills.
      Do you really think a dog understands being scolded when he hasn't even done anything - just standing there?
  • Judy
    Judy

DEB - I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING OF THE VET BILLS . . JUST TALK FIRMLY TO HER, AND SHE WILL COMPREHEND. I DIDN'T SAY SCOLD HER, BUT BE FIRM. DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN FOLKS GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR.
  • Goldrushgal
    Goldrushgal

It depends on the size of your dog if chicken wire will work. Our Lab chewed right through heavy gauge box fencing. Chicken wire would have been gone in a minute.
  • Laurie
    Laurie

I have an American Bulldog, a Red Heeler and a small Pit. I put chicken wire anywhere I don't want them to dig. Just pin it to the ground and it works like a charm.
  • Emily Smith
    Emily Smith

I'm in the same predicament. I have a little Pomeranian mix that is very possessive of mommy ever since his big brother (German Shepard/husky mix) passed away two months ago. Our neighbor's dog is a beautiful malamute who digs his way over into our yard. Now he has figured out the doggy door and just helps himself inside, much to the dismay of my little dog. I work from home and when he comes inside, my dog will defend his territory. I am continually taking myself off the phones so I can deal with any dog arguments (My dog is mostly all talk but has gone full on psycho a time or two). I have been dismantling my raised flower beds and filling holes with the concrete blocks but to no avail. The neighbors are hard to reach and we've mentioned it before but they have taken no action on their side to prevent the issue. I suspect their dog (which is a high energy/intelligent breed) is lonely, bored and probably looking to play with our dog that passed away. I don't want anything to hurt him and thus far, my position has been that it is better he break into my yard than break out all together and get lost, stolen or hit by a car. We're going to approach the neighbors again and offer to help pay for any fencing needs and to help come up with some solutions. (I used to work for/with a pet rescue organization so we have advice in spades!) I really think they need to invest in either a doggy day care or a dog walker/sitter. Malamutes, huskies and German shepherds (like my old one) are know for anxiety issues and being high energy/intelligent breeds that need A LOT of interaction/attention.