Are the juniper bushe's the ones that smell bad?? If not what are they

+10
I moved into a new home and these 2 large bushes smell like a bad cat litter box.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 05, 2017
    What you are smelling is most likely cat urine.So since the odor is already there all you can do for now to to try and deter them.Place citrus peels under the bushes,and spray with citrus essential oil.Next place plastic forks prong sides up.
    • Jane Wicker Jane Wicker on Oct 15, 2019

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out: http://nomorecatpee10.petsandportraits.co.uk

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Have a wonderful day!

• William William on Apr 05, 2017
    Some people are reporting that their boxwood has a bad odor. More specifically, people complain about boxwood bushes that smell like cat urine. The English boxwood seems to be the main culprit.

To be fair, the odor has also been described as resinous, and a resinous scent certainly isn’t a bad thing.

In fact, unbeknownst to many, boxwood shrubs produce tiny, inconspicuous blooms – normally in late spring. These flowers, especially in English varieties, may occasionally emit the unpleasant odor that so many people notice.

If you are concerned about smelly boxwood shrubs, then there are certain things you can do to avoid the smell. Don’t install English boxwood near your front door or near any frequently used areas of your landscape. You can substitute other not-so-odorous boxwood species and their cultivars such as the Japanese or Asian boxwood. Consider using Little Leaf boxwood if you live in zones 6 through 9. Ask at your local nursery about the other boxwood varieties and cultivars they carry. You can also consider using a completely different species. Densely leafed, evergreen plants can be substituted for boxwood. Consider using cultivars of myrtles and hollies instead.

• JUDIE JUDIE on Apr 06, 2017
    GET RID OF THEM
  • Brenda Brenda on Apr 06, 2017
    I have not known junipers to smell.
  • Kami Kami on Apr 06, 2017
    Maybe they are Azalea bushes. Pretty to look at but smell like cat urine.
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Apr 06, 2017
    I'd like to suggest digging them up and either replace them with hostas, ornamental grasses, or decorative rock. I had to do the same thing once, and I removed them completely......creating a new area with rock and potted plants. It's a wonderful opportunity to get creative and design something new to go with your new home (congratulations). ??? A bird bath????? A statue???? A bench????
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 06, 2017
    There is no need to dig them up.Remember these are first time home buyers. It is more of a control to rid the cats right now.
  • Judy Judy on Apr 06, 2017
    Hello - I know there is a slight scent to a Juniper, tho it isn't a bad smell.. Likely there is a animal who likes your bushes, and uses these are his/her place to drop a load. Lay some moth balls around the bushes, and the visitors will NOT return. You may want to shovel the soil over, and bury some moth balls too, so this will add a extra bit of help, also. Best wishes.
  • Dawn Hillman Dawn Hillman on Feb 08, 2019

I have encountered juniper trees/bushes and even WREATHS that smell like cat pee to me. I’m pretty sensitive to it.

• Mary Lee Norris Mary Lee Norris on May 17, 2020

Yes, junipers reek of cat pee. Dig them out and replace them with yews, which are beautiful evergreens and have no odor.

• Iam Iam on Aug 13, 2020

Yes, junipers reek of cat pee to me too - but it seems not everyone can smell it or not everyone finds that the two smells are similar. I also find it is similar to the smell/taste of some beers. It is a resinous smell that has some similarity to cat pee. I think the junipers only smell when they are producing berries? You may get used to it, I find that it doesn't bother me once I know that it isn't actually cat pee.