Faking It [brick Paver Edition]

$60
1 Day

This year our focus is the exterior of our house. We had big plans that included painting our exterior brick white but after much research and consulting with paint professionals and local real estate agents, we decided it wasn't the right choice for us. Painting the sidewalk was on the long list of to-dos but a lot of those things dropped off the list when the white brick did, but I decided to move forward with this plan.

I watched our weather forecast closely waiting for 2-3 days of dry weather. The first step was pressure washing and cleaning the sidewalk. I did this the day before I planned on painting so it could dry overnight. Once the sidewalk had dried, it was time to get down to the fun part - stenciling! I was blessed with a beautiful 65 degree day - it was perfect! 

I used porch and patio paint that I had tinted to Sherwin William's "Fired Brick" as well as the Herringbone Bricks Allover Stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils. I taped the stencil down using painters tape and lightly rolled the paint over the stencil - the natural texture of our sidewalk added a lot of character to the pattern. ​

I also rubbed a dish sponge over our sidewalk to roughen it up and then I used it as a stamp. I had some gray paint left over from the laundry room floors so I decided to add some specks if it to the red pattern to give it more depth. I rolled a thin layer of gray porch and patio paint on a paper plate and then pressed the sponge into the paint, and then lightly sponged it on randomly across the stenciled brick. I made sure to rotate my wrist so the stamp pattern wouldn't be the same everywhere. 

It took some patience, but after about 2 hours of stenciling I was finally done! All together between the pressure washing and allowing it to dry over night I spent about a day on this project.

My love for stencils continues to grow! I cannot believe how much it boosted our curb appeal, of course some fresh mulch didn't hurt either!

Susanna | Livin' The Life Of Riley

• Darrel Rose

How do you protect this paint from chipping off the concrete walkway is there something you coat it with to prevent this from happening or are you prepared to redo this all over again when it chips off eventually
  • Mary Johnson

If you powerwash to clean the walkway, do you think the stenciling will come off. Did you use a sealer. Perhaps Dawn dish soap and sponge mop might be better to clean it. My cement is on the north side of the house so it gets mossy and green from lack of sun. It needs to be cleaned at least once a year. I have been wanting to stencil it for a long time. Love your project.
    • Anna

Soap and a mop won't get out the dirt and grime that a power wash does. Giving you the cleanest canvas to work on, ensures the best possibility of the paint sticking.

• Margaret Spears

Do stencils come bigger so I can do driveway? Maybe fau stone look

• Merelyn sale

Would love to try on our sidewalk. Great finished job.

• Karolyn

Have a front sidewalk (very blah!) and this is a great idea! Yours turned out beautifully...thanks for sharing! Really does dress it up...