Built-in Kitchen Banquette

We recently added a built-in Banquette to our 120 square foot kitchen. We are really enjoying all the extra seating the new banquette created. The seat of our banquette opens up for extra storage. What a difference it makes to our tiny cape! The previous home owners didn't have a dining table in this small kitchen and now we can seat eight people and have squeezed 10 kids around this spot. We did some major renovations to this kitchen too- cabinet refacing and tile.

BEFORE banquette and kitchen remodel.

BEFORE we built the banquette and remodeled the kitchen

AFTER- we made some major changes along with the banquette. I have more details on the entire kitchen remodel on my blog.

I wanted to make sure we had enough room for pillows, creating a cozy spot to sit.

Taped out the space and size of the banquette first.

Built it in a day- it is not attached to the floor so it can be removed.

Lot of storage on both sides.

Finished space with shelves for display and to pull together the butcher block counter top on the opposite side of the kitchen.
Overall it took about 7 hours to complete!

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Nesting with Grace

• Maggie
    Maggie

Really nice work, where can we find the dimensions of the banquette?

• Kathy Bumsted
      Kathy Bumsted

What are the dimensions of the banquette please? I really would like to know so that we may do this to our kitchen that has the exact same space for this and to give more storage also.

• Joseph baldwin
    Joseph baldwin

I am not trying to be critical, I just have a question about the framing. It looks a little overdone. Does it need to be that heavy? I am currently in the process of a kitchen remodel and was wondering if the framing could be a little less or is it necessary to make it that sturdy? Yours looks great and has inspired my design going forward. Thanks for the post.

• Kathy Bumsted
      Kathy Bumsted

Having it that sturdy gives a place for people to sit safely while eating or just relaxing in the kitchen. I would not want it any weaker than that so sturdy is better

• Irma
    Irma

Amazing! But how did you do that floor?

• Kathy
    Kathy

wow! Very nice.

• Kevin
    Kevin

This is a GREAT job!

Did you need the costly "bench top" I suspect something less costly may have worked here?

Storage for pots, pans, etc., GREAT will not collect dust on a pot rack.

Kevin