Jessica Hoffman
Jessica Hoffman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Boynton Beach, FL

Cinder and Cedar Bar, Again... Pinterest Helped!

$200

I love Pinterest! My husband acts like he is tired of my "DIY projects", but he sure loves the results!! He also loves the fact that my manicures have become a distant memory and instead of going to the salon and shopping for clothes/shoes, my trips have been to Lowe's, Home Depot, pawn shops, ace hardware and anywhere else I can find what I need! Somehow these "shopping trips" are justifiable to him... but
Loved this project!
Loved this project!

Made a few trips to Home Depot. We purchased cinder blocks and 4x4s in rough cut cedar. You can use regular 4x4s for this, but we really love the look of sanded cedar finished with tongue oil. Also, I learned too late: both Home Depot and Lowes will deliver large orders. Had I known in advance, I most definately would have chosen that option. I was impatient and wanted to take everything home and start... as a result, I was aching for days and had blisters that lasted weeks!! Lol

Loaded up!
Loaded up!

I have no idea which trip this was, but thankfully I was able to borrow my friends trailer.

These things are long!
These things are long!

Laying out lumber, preparing to glue, screw and sand!
Did I mention these are rough cut?!! OMG we sanded and sanded and sanded some more!

Like a puzzle
Like a puzzle

While the cedar was clamped and drying, we decided to start stacking the blocks. This part was fun.
Tip: paint the blocks! we painted them a clay color- maintained the color of concrete but made them much more smooth.

Clamped, glued and screwed!
Clamped, glued and screwed!

This was the hardest part for me. (The waiting) I wanted these things done so I could sand!!!

Hubby with belt sander
Hubby with belt sander

Fortunately, he is in great shape! His sanding probably saved a couple of days for me! That palm sander just didn't do what the belt sander did! I tried using it and held it in one place too long. It made a divet! I handed it back to my husband.

My turn!
My turn!

Getting much smoother!! Almost ready for tung oil!

There are no words
There are no words

I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw what this tung oil did. It gave it a "live edge" sort of feel and it was sooooo smooth and beautiful! It was very late at this point, so we had to stop for the night and resume the next day. I don't think I slept I was so excited!

We love it!
We love it!

We added a piano hinge on the side, so we can move the side up to get behind the bar (like a REAL BAR)!!
We topped it with several thin coats of spar urethane. It has UV protection and a sort of gold cast to it, so it truly added some beautiful warm tones to the natural cedar.
We put LED candles in the spaces in the cinder blocks. We found the ski at a yard sale for 3.00 and just hung the TV the other night.
If anyone has questions, please feel free to comment and I will help as much as I can!! Thanks for reading!!
Jessica Hoffman

• Ski28619394

You guys did a beautiful job! Did you glue or mortar the cinder blocks together?

• Jessica Hoffman

No. The blocks didn’t move through the hurricane! I don’t think they are going anywhere.

• Margaret

I read all of your posts but was very disappointed that there was no pictures of the final project. Why?

• Ros33354521

If u scroll down n click on tiny picture u can see the finish product but very limited view hope that helps u some what( I was wishing for better view but that’s what I found😣

• Tin2989363

RATS! I was so excited to see the finished bar with its lights, but a photo of it isn't there! Can you show us a pic of it?

• Kate

Love what you did but would've loved to see a pic of the finished product with the candles.

The cedar is Beautiful!

• Amy

This looks like a bunch of spare crap piled in a corner to me.