DIY Hidden Toy Storage

$25

Cars, trains, planes, balls, puzzles, blocks...they are everywhere in my house. This DIY hidden toy storage is a great solution to store the toys...and HIDE THE MESS. Yes, I said hide and it's wonderful. I've had a lot of house guests recently. Cleaning up the boys toys didn't quite seem good enough. I wanted to hide them and display only the cutest stuff, like books and stuffed animals.
To make this furniture easy to spin, I use furniture sliders on our carpet, but casters will work best on a hard surface.

Cuts made and square is ready to go.
I used 3/4" thick wood for this build. I built this to be about the same size as a nightstand or side table. The storage is about 20" deep. 16" on the toy side and 4" on the book side.

Use glue and brad nails or pocket holes to build the frame and shelf. If you're unfamiliar with pocket holes, you can see more info on my site.

Use furring strips to attach the v-groove board between the toy side and the book side. Set it back about 4 inches for the back side (book storage).

After caulking and painting, I attached 4 furniture gliders to the bottom to make it easy to spin on carpet. You can use little casters on hardwood floors. Or even install a Lazy Susan on the bottom. But beware of tipping hazards around little kids. I was afraid a Lazy Susan would make them want to spin this and probably end up with it falling over.

Now, this is the toy side.

And this is the book side. I spin it to show the book side whenever I want to hide the messy toys for a while, but would also work great for hiding anything from messy craft or hobby supplies to blankets and magazines.
A fun little video I made to show this piece in action. :)

• 3/4" wood
  • Wood Glue

Stephanie Abbott