Paper Bag Flooring

$25

I wanted a cheap alternative to a new floor for my bathroom. I liked the paper bag floors but didnt like the color so I used watered down acrylic paints and used a ragging technique using paper towels to get the desired look. Kinda looks like cement or slate!
paper bag flooring, bathroom, diy renovations projects, flooring

• Tonya

Could this be used on bathroom walls

• Audra Bailey

Oh yes. It's like decoupage. You can use it in almost anything. Except cement

• Patricia C. Coretti

I have experimented with paper flooring for years. I use brown paper, water based stains and paints. I stain and paint the paper, let it dry and tear it in different shapes and them I use modpog...I have done them over linoleum, laminate, dry wall, and cement. I modpog the paper to the items, let it dry, and coat it with Mini wax polycrylic, usually two to three coats and have had not problems. One project was a showroom floor (3500 sq. ft.) over linoleum and it took the traffic for years, did the restroom for the showroom in paper and colored it purple and everyone love it. My workroom is done over cement and has been down for four years and no problems. I love the process and plan to do several rooms in my new home. Sanding the different surfaces makes it adhere...

• Jen

Getting ready to start and the pics look like you went right on top of the linoleum....Did you??? And how many coats of poly did you use??

• Audra Bailey

Yes I went right over the linoleum. Be aware that any sort of pattern may show thru tho. I liked it but wasn't prepared for it. I can't exactly remember how many coats but if it's for a bathroom or high traffic area, the more the better. I just used a roller with a pole and it went very quick. Hard part was waiting between coats. I think I did 7, and it wasn't enough. I saw some wear after about 6months.

• Debra Wukawitz Gunderson

Try Varathane water-based floor finish polyurethane. I used 7 coats, as well. Mine may not be as exposed to that much traffic/water, etc. but the floor finish is very important.
    • Jen

I did you coats with a brush brush because it was a small area.....one year later and all is well! Yes, you can see the vinyl pattern but it looks cool!
  • Pamela Tucker

I can only find photos. Are there instructions? I love that it is not brown!

• Carisa

Hi my email is carisamcleghorn@gmail.com I wanted to know If since you did this if you could use any color acrylic paint you wanted to?

• Jefferie

Can this be done on concrete?
  • Amy Wilson Powell

What color paint did you use? I love this!!

• Ed

First question did you use brown paper or did you go with a lighter option such as art or craft paper?

Next did you use a sealer over the top of the paint?

I like the look... I am so tired of absolute traditional. I'm doing all my floors and I'm looking for a gray that will work through the living dining room and hallway.

Thanks Ed

• Sheri Farley

I found a light grey laminate flooring that resembles a wood floor Lowe’s and Home Depot both carry it I’m doing every room in this grey flooring just got a she shed and I’m going to try this paper bag flooring in it

• Charise.

Didn't she say that she used paper towels?

• Jen

So far so good! It looks awesome compared to the crap linoleum that WAS there! So far I have 4 coats of poly on. I researched and found out there is a DIFFERENCE! Good info on line ....I am more than pleased and ready to do the main bathroom!

, this is after the 1st coat of poly right on top of yuck linoleum The only issue was around the heater vent where the linoleum started to raise up I used construction adhesive and 3 gallons on top over nite and it worked great
  • Angela Carter DePew

How has it held up to foot traffic?