Metal Solar Light Flowers

I saw so many solar light flowers being sold and I couldn't believe the prices. $10 and up. I knew I could do better. So I just decided to give a try and make my own. These are based on a set of three lights Bird and Blooms were giving away in one of their contests. I didn't win  so I made my own.
Bought three solar lights at Dollar Tree. Several empty soda cans and bottles of metallic craft paint in bronze, copper, gold.
Got my cans and lights together.
Cut strips out of the soda cans with scissors.
Found a leaf template online, sized it to fit, traced it on the metal strips. Got two per strip and cut them out.
Six petals per solar light would work. Now I had to make them look like actual petals.
I used a pencil for the creases and veins. Now they look like real petals. The creases and veins made them rigid.
Glued the petals around the perimeter of the solar lights. Painted the petals with metallic craft paint in bronze , copper, and gold.
Folded the petals down to look like a flower. They look pretty nice. Cost me three bucks for the solar lights, recycled soda cans, and had the paint on hand from other projects. Really nothing much to speak of. Just wanted to see if I could make some.

• Solar lights  (Dollar tree)
  • Empty soda cans  (After drinking the soda)
  • Craft paint  (Had on hand (who doesn't))

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy

• Sandra Costarelli Katin
    Sandra Costarelli Katin

Just want to say loved it
  • Fran Lasker
    Fran Lasker

How do you keep people and animals from getting cut by them?
      William

They're in my flower garden, but they aren't sharp at all so no one can get hurt. I plan to make about six more for lighting up my walk. I have a side entrance.
  • Shirley
    Shirley

YES, this is something I have been looking for. Any ideas on making them taller?

srobinson41@charter.net

William

What A great idea! You can add on a piece of PVC pipe, electrical conduit, or copper pipe to make them taller.