Asked on Apr 9, 2017

Why am I getting a texturewhile priming with a foam roller?

Joanne WaylettJan LoehrKim Brisk Mello
+6

i've seen post on here where people say to use a foam roller to get no texture and a smooth finish on the cabinets. As you can see I am getting a texture do you know what I could be doing wrong any tips?
  • Dee
    Dee

looks like you are pressing too hard. or did you clean the doors well before priming? If there is grease on the wood that happens.
  • Kim Brisk Mello
    Kim Brisk Mello

They have been cleaned and deglossed. I dont think I was pressing to hard I'll have to try again. Thanks
  • B. Enne
    B. Enne

I have painted cabinets quite a few times. I have had lines where the roller ends from pushing too hard, but I have never seen this, unless the paint dried on the roller, because it wasn't washed out thoroughly. I've even used $ store rollers with no problems. You used High Density foam?
    Other than what Dee said, the only other thing I can think of, is that you kept rolling over wet paint. Is it an oil based/alkyd paint? I painted my dishwasher with a s/s look paint, and I got texture, because I kept rolling back and forth, instead of letting it dry thoroughly like the instructions said. I don't do that anymore. I try to be patient...which is hard but worth it.
  • Karen Hyde
    Karen Hyde

It's possible there wasn't enough paint on the roller. That would leave dry spots and an uneven, patterned surface. When there's enough paint, as the roller passes over an area, the paint left behind flows together and creates a level surface. Experiment!
    William

Could be residue from the deglosser ( I always lightly sand and advise it), not enough paint on the roller or a dry roller, Rolling over the painted surface to many times while wet (pulling the paint off).
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I like to brush the paint after using a foam roller, it seems to dry smoother if there is enough paint on the wood. Sometimes it takes two coats too.
  • Kim Brisk Mello
    Kim Brisk Mello

So I have used the foam brushes not the roller. I put on a coat with one and with the dryer one I go over it and it comes out smooth so that seems to be working. I've done this on the frame of the cabinets. On the doors I would like to do this also but there are a little grooves that go around the door any tips on how to get that smooth?
  • Jan Loehr
    Jan Loehr

I would not use a foam roller on cabinets...invest in a good quality slanted brush by Purdy....best best brushes for smooth finishes, especially on cabinets, doors or woodwork like baseboards window frames, etc...Home Depot has them in all sizes, I always use the slanted brushes in different widths for various size pieces you are painting. Believe me they work beautifully!
  • Joanne Waylett
    Joanne Waylett

there are grades of rollers just as there are for paint brushes. If you are using a foam roller on cabinet doors or interior doors you want to get the best quality. Also I'm wondering if you used primer first. I would prime then sand to smooth and then use a best quality roller