Amie
Amie
  • Greenwood, IN

How to Make Dollar Tree Storage Bins Look Like Pier 1

$10

The kitchen is the hub of our house. This is evidenced by the hodge podge of things you will find in my kitchen on any given day. It is near impossible to keep counters cleared off, so I’ve stopped fighting it and have hunted for practical counter top storage solutions.

After a couple of failed attempts, I decided to go the DIY route and bought some Dollar Tree storage bins. My mission was to make them look pretty.
how to make dollar tree storage bins look like pier 1
I found these blue plastic bins at the Dollar Tree, but the bright blue didn’t go with my color scheme.  I envisioned a lined bin with a woven look.
To start this project, I took some fabric that I had on hand and fitted it to the inside of the bin.
I had a yard of fabric but I only needed half of that for the size of my bin, so I cut it down using my rotary cutter. This cutter saves so much time.  I folded my fabric over a few times and it cut right through it with no effort.
Next, I placed the fabric into the bin and cut off the excess fabric, leaving enough fabric to have an overhang to cover the lip of the bin.

Pull your fabric over the top and glue it to the underside of the bin, making sure you leave enough fabric inside the bin to reach the bottom.  Any extra fabric overhang is fine because the rope in the next step will cover it.
If you want to secure the fabric to the bottom of your bin, put a few drops of glue at the bottom before you finish gluing your rim and press the fabric down.
As you glue the fabric to the bin, the fabric inside will start to bunch up.  Every couple of inches, fold the fabric over to form a pleat and glue it down.
Once you finish the rim, it’s time to do the outside.  My bin was 7 inches tall by 11 inches wide and 50 feet of rope was more than enough to cover the outside.  I used Manila rope, but Sisal would look great too.
Take the end of your rope {there’s a pun in there somewhere} and glue it under the rim of the bin.  Wrap it around the bin while gluing it every couple of inches.  Hold the rope in place for a few seconds to allow the glue to dry.
Continue this until you get to the bottom of your bin.  If you have extra rope, you can either cut it off or use it to cover the bottom of the bin.
These Dollar Tree storage bins are the perfect size for an entry way.  You can toss in car keys, mail, and the random paperwork that accumulates throughout the week.  They are also great for a bread or fruit basket.  Or try them out as bathroom storage for rolled up wash cloths or even toilet paper rolls.

Check out the full post with additional pictures here

Amie

• Robin

Where did you get that I love your job thanks for sharing

• Linda Em

Can you put elastic around the top so it can be removable and can be re moved to wash it?

• Chela Del Chuco

You could always add a clear plastic liner so no need to wash. I mean add it along with the material

• Holley

What size round was the rope you used?

• Lisa

Brilliant idea 💡. Thank you for sharing all the details ❤️

• Dani

great idea... could also be made to use in a baby's room for items on the dresser .... thanks for sharing a great idea and easy tutorial....