A Crafty Mix - Michelle
A Crafty Mix - Michelle
  • South Africa

How We Made Some Rustic Egg Cups - Easy DIY

1 Material
$0

What are you planning for Easter? We're hosting a brunch for a whole bunch of people and I just realized that I don't have enough egg cup holders  I could probably go to the store a buy some, but what on earth am I going to do with 20 egg cups afterwards? They've got such an odd shape and they're difficult to store. So we decided to make our own.
how we made some rustic egg cups easy diy
They can be used all year round and I think they’ll make a great gift for our guests too. The best part is that you can whip them up in a flash, and they don't cost a cent. A super idea for those “Oh darn, I don’t have enough egg cup moments”. All you need is a thickish branch from a hardwood tree like an oak, birch or maple.
Smack the branch a few times on the floor to get rid of any creepy crawlies. You'll also need food safe wood finish and a spade and countersink bit.
Remove any small side branches and then cut the branch at an angle into slices about  2.5 cm or 1” thick. Drill a hole on one end of the slice of wood using the spade bit and another smaller hole or indentation on the other side using the countersink bit.
Sand any rough edges and spray the wood slices with white vinegar to disinfect them before applying a food safe wood finish. That's it. The little indentation is perfect for a pinch of salt.
And they’re easy to store, easy to make and, bonus factor, they didn’t cost us a cent.
Have you had one of those "no egg cup moments"? I'd love to hear how you solved the problem. Wishing everyone a very happy and cracking good Easter.

P.S. You can find the full instructions on the blog and if you want to know how to make that gorgeous slate heart you can find that tutorial here. Come say hi if you get a chance

P.P.S Do you have any egg-cellent puns or yolks to share? Add them in the comments so we can all have a chuckle

• Dry Branch  (The Garden)
A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Linda @ Mixed Kreations

What a great idea!
  • Leslie Williams Shannon

OMG! What a GREAT idea! This reminds me of my very British Nana and Papa, who would have us grandkids over on Saturday nights, and when we begged for "dippy eggs" for Sunday morning breakfast, Papa would make soft-boiled eggs for us. They always had a supply of egg cups, and it used to be a treat to get to knock the top off the egg, and Nana would cut the toast into strips so we could dip them into the yolks.... (HENce, 'dippy eggs'). Looking back, an EGGstraordinary memory!!