Giant Leaf Stepping Stones

$5.00

These decorative garden stepping stones add the perfect amount of whimsy to my side garden. You won't believe how simple they are to make using a giant plant leaf of your choice. Give it a try for yourself!
SUPPLIES:

- Large Plant Leaf (of your choice)

- Powder Concrete Mix

-Spatula, Spoon or Putty Knife

- Cardboard

- Paint (optional)
Step 1: Mix up the cement into a thick paste in a large container.

Be sure to follow the instructions on the packaging. Remember to disposable plastic gloves and mix outside - this stuff can be messy!

Step 2: Position Your Leaf (veiny side-up).

For each stone, lay one leaf flat on a large piece of cardboard. The leaf's veiny reverse side should be facing up.
Step 3: Spread Cement on the Leaf.

Using your spatula, putty knife or spoon, spread the cement all over the leaf. This layer should be about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick at the edges and at least 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) thick at the center for best results.
Step 4: Smooth around the edges and over the entire surface with your gloved fingers or knife. Then, leave your concrete leaf for about two hours, until it's just dry enough to hold its shape.

Step 5: Carefully, flip your leaf over, so the cement is on the bottom and the leaf is now on top.
Step 6: Remove the Leaf

Slowly, peel away the leaf. This will be easier if the concrete is still a bit wet. Now leave the stone to dry completely for a day or two.
When it's dry, it will look something like this and will have completely hardened into stone form.
Step 7: Lay your stones in your garden or create a stepping stone pathway from one spot to another in your own yard!

You can paint your stones or leaf them with the 'au naturel' cement look. For more permanent stones, dig about an inch into the ground and 'plant' your stones into the soil.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Kathy Schultz Tribble

With as thin as these are I cannot see them not cracking when someone steps on them.

• Tina

Just make them thicker. That’s what I’m going to do.

• Elizabeth

Can these be painted or aged to give a less skeletal look?

• Brenda Raymond

I read quite awhile ago that you could leave the leaf on it.....It will weather and wear off. I did this about 10 years ago and the cement leaves still hold there shape are durable and look great!

• Annette

Can I mold this process into a bowl

• Dee

You sure can! Dig a hole in the ground; then build up a mound the shape of the bowl (or bird bath) you want; lay leaves around the mound and pour your concrete into the hole and over the mound. Let dry. Turn it over when dry and voila a bowl or whatever you want it to be.

• Rubytuesday

Ive seen simmaler to this. Ive know someone who made round sidewalks using leaves for a pattern.

Its beautiful

• Sheilla Schmidt Luna

I might do this with fake leaves. And bigger ones. And I would make them ticker. When I place them I would add a bed of sand under them for snug support. Thanks for the idea.