Giant Leaf Stepping Stones

$5.00

These decorative garden stepping stones add the perfect amount of whimsy to my side garden. You won't believe how simple they are to make using a giant plant leaf of your choice. Give it a try for yourself!
SUPPLIES:

- Large Plant Leaf (of your choice)

- Powder Concrete Mix

-Spatula, Spoon or Putty Knife

- Cardboard

- Paint (optional)
Step 1: Mix up the cement into a thick paste in a large container.

Be sure to follow the instructions on the packaging. Remember to disposable plastic gloves and mix outside - this stuff can be messy!

Step 2: Position Your Leaf (veiny side-up).

For each stone, lay one leaf flat on a large piece of cardboard. The leaf's veiny reverse side should be facing up.
Step 3: Spread Cement on the Leaf.

Using your spatula, putty knife or spoon, spread the cement all over the leaf. This layer should be about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick at the edges and at least 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) thick at the center for best results.
Step 4: Smooth around the edges and over the entire surface with your gloved fingers or knife. Then, leave your concrete leaf for about two hours, until it's just dry enough to hold its shape.

Step 5: Carefully, flip your leaf over, so the cement is on the bottom and the leaf is now on top.
Step 6: Remove the Leaf

Slowly, peel away the leaf. This will be easier if the concrete is still a bit wet. Now leave the stone to dry completely for a day or two.
When it's dry, it will look something like this and will have completely hardened into stone form.
Step 7: Lay your stones in your garden or create a stepping stone pathway from one spot to another in your own yard!

You can paint your stones or leaf them with the 'au naturel' cement look. For more permanent stones, dig about an inch into the ground and 'plant' your stones into the soil.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See

• Kathy Schultz Tribble

With as thin as these are I cannot see them not cracking when someone steps on them.

• Elizabeth

Can these be painted or aged to give a less skeletal look?

• Lola

Paint them, they look beautiful. I made some small and large as decor in my house. I made some Fall colors and some green. I love them. I sprayed them with clear poly after.

• Annette

Can I mold this process into a bowl

• Lola

Yes, use a wet mound of dirt to lay the leaf over. The cement will weigh leaf down and hold the mound shape. I did a cabbage leaf, came out great and held the round shape just fine. I painted it cabbage colors and put my two little bunnies in it for Spring decor.

• Carolyn Young

I might dig a shallow area of ground and pour the cement into it. Next, add leaves (large & small, whatever you like) on top of the cement & push the vein side into the wet cement . Different leaf direction would be more creative & natural. You can water down acrylic paint after it dries & stipple it on lightly in greens, golds, browns, even reds. Mix colors or stick with 1-3 shades (monotone).

I hope I don’t need to buy a huge bag of cement.

• Janice Timmermans

Done this

You may want to put some chicken wire down in the middle (depth) of the concrete to prevent breaking. We have lost several that did not have the chicken wire to support the weight of the concrete

But you will love the leaves. We actually used rhubarb leaves and put them on a stand to create a bird bath!