Vetsy
Vetsy
  • Spartanburg, SC

Learning to Save and to Care for a Crown of Thorn

I bought this beautiful Crown of thorn in July of last year. It was very happy outdoors but I had a feeling that once I brought it inside for the winter, there was going to be trouble... It didn't take long.
I am aware that temperature and lighting can and will have a different effect on your plants once they are back indoors for the winter... This transition has always been an issue and a problem for me.....
" Sigh" One day I'm going to get it right!
I SWORE I would Not.... OVER WATER! But OVER WATER I DID! I had to stop my crying and spring into action.!! My photos explain what I'm doing to save it... Thanks for your comments and tips..
Here it is on my balcony in July of last year.
This is the part that has started to rot. It's shriveled up in the middle.
Here I'm removing a piece of it's stem that is still green. My gloves are used to protect my hands from both the thorns and sap that I've read is poisonous.
All the leaves had turned Yellow.
This is what is left after the cut... Should I cut it more or leave it?
Here the little piece I cut off..I read somewhere on the net that I should allow it to dry out a few days and than stick it in some sand.
I did not -repot it as of yet...I'm allowing the soil to dry out... Than I'll place it back in it's pot..I think I may change it from a plastic pot to a clay pot.

Vetsy

• Rebecca Duff

yes! the sand! just noticed that on your post (duh) ...I have started many of these by doing what you have done, BUT, it's when I bring them in they die....very easy to start..

• Vetsy

@Rebecca Duff Maybe I'll have better luck in the future.... with growing and propagation as well... Thanks Rebecca.

• CAROL

I bought one of these at Walmart 7 yrs ago- it was in a teeny pot and was about 5 inches tall! It looked odd and was the only one in the HOUSE plant area! I had no clue what it was till last year! lol--- I put it out in the full sun every summer and bring it in and put it is a west facing window indoors once it starts to get cool outdoors- I have started at least a dozen new plants from it- I so love it because it has flowers on it continually! It is HUGE! I laugh that it will need its own room some day! I made my own soil mix with extra sand and small rocks- it is in a very large ceramic pot with drainage- on the inside of the pot I layered rock on the bottom to give it even better drainage.- I am not an expert gardener at all- but believe me that it is so ez to root some new plants from the stems- good luck kiddo!