Easy Crate Bench on Wheels

$30

You have probably noticed by now how much I love working with wooden crates. It's amazing how much you can actually do with them. This time, I decided to create a bench on wheels. This has to be one of my favorite crate projects for home decor. It's fully functional and I use it for storage, seating and sometimes I roll it out to use as a coffee table. Stain it, paint it or keep it 'au natural'.

*Project Inspired by Stacy Davis.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Be sure to check out some other awesome DIY furniture makeover project ideas!

SUPPLIES:

• Stair Treads x 2
  • Wood Crates x 2
  • Caster Wheels (with brakes) x 4
  • Screws
  • Wood Glue
  • Screwdriver
  • Stain or Paint (optional)
  • Sandpaper

Step 1: Attach four caster wheels to the bottom side of your stair tread. One per corner. I used wheels with brakes to ensure I had the option to lock it into place when being used.

Flip your stair tread over (wheel-side down). This is the base of your bench.

Step 2: Apply wood glue to the bottom side of each of your crates. Ensure it is the long side and to put glue on each slat.

Step 3: Place your first crate glue side down onto the stair tread.

Step 4: Place your first crate glue side down onto the stair tread.

Step 5: Apply wood glue to the top side of each crate. Ensure to put it along all of the slats.

Step 6: Place the second stair tread on top of the crates. This will be the top of your bench.

Step 7: Insert screws into all four corners of the top of the bench. This will provide more stability. Be sure to sand down your bench after all of the steps have been completed.

Stain, paint or leave your bench au-natural! I decided to stain my bench with charcoal stain and rough it up a bit for a more rustic look. I love the way it turned out!

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

• Racheal
    Racheal

What size stair tread are they using in this DIY? there are two sizes...

• Jackie
    Jackie

Can you add a padding on top like an ottoman? If so where can I find one?

• Cindy Baldinelli
      Cindy Baldinelli

You can use any type of foam like mattress pad that's cheaper than buying foam and get fabric and staple it under.

• Jen Sicilia
    Jen Sicilia

I will try this! Crates can cheaply be purchased from craft stores that always have 40-50% off coupons. Stair treads aren’t expensive, quick search I found them for $6 each. I don’t see why this would cost $60 make? Could be done for $20-$30. 🤗

• Marie
      Marie

I used wooden "feet" rather than the casters...